When to reintroduce post picking by other hens

Nicola Gosse

In the Brooder
May 8, 2020
My 8 week old pullet just got her new feathers which have now been picked out by the other three (who are slightly older). She lost most of her back feathers and tail. I've had her isolated within the run for the past week. She is not bleeding, however when I put her out to trial with the others she get's pecked again. How long should I wait, should she have all her feathers before I reintroduce her or wait till she's a bit older.
Thank you
Nicola

It's a very pretty set up but sounds like minimum space isn't agreeing with these girls. Having room to add more clutter to provide more hiding spaces would be ideal but it's going to be hard to find things that will fit and work effectively in that space (think out of sight, out of mind) but not eat up too much floor space at the same time.
Once the baby is out of the dog cage in the run there will be a lot more room. I let them free range a bit tonight and had no problem

Try putting some Blu Kote on her back perhaps.

Also are your chickens usually in the run, or usually free ranging the yard? If they're usually in the run, realistically assess your run - does it have stuff for them to interact with? Things to dig through, to climb, to hide behind? Bored chickens cause problems, busy chickens don't have time to do that.

I’m new to chickens myself but I thought I read that you remove the bullies not the bullied.
Yes, that would be my plan if it continues once she is reintroduced. I think I know who the main culprit is. It's an urban coop so only four hens.

Try putting some Blu Kote on her back perhaps.

Also are your chickens usually in the run, or usually free ranging the yard? If they're usually in the run, realistically assess your run - does it have stuff for them to interact with? Things to dig through, to climb, to hide behind? Bored chickens cause problems, busy chickens don't have time to do that.

They have lots of entertainment in the run. Branches, swing, huge solid cube to peck, three feeders in at least 40 sq feet. I’ve purchased stop pick too but not certain it’s worked. I have no idea why this started. They were so good with her as a baby. She was four weeks and they were ten. I’m having an apron/saddle made for her too

Back
Top Bottom