When to Release Rehabilitated Mallards?

blissfulbirds

Songster
Aug 7, 2020
I have 6 mallard ducks who we rescued from being abandoned. They have been raised in the stream in my backyard but I am planning on moving them to a pond soon. They are 8 weeks old and all can fly but one. Should I release them asap so they don't fly away leaving the one behind? Or do I wait until they all can fly to let them go? Here is a picture of the wing feathers for reference. Thank you for any advice!

IMG_4453.jpg

I have 6 mallard ducks who we rescued from being abandoned. They have been raised in the stream in my backyard but I am planning on moving them to a pond soon. They are 8 weeks old and all can fly but one. Should I release them asap so they don't fly away leaving the one behind? Or do I wait until they all can fly to let them go? Here is a picture of the wing feathers for reference. Thank you for any advice!

View attachment 2280911
Wait until they can all fly.

View attachment 2280911
Hello and Welcome to BYC. It's Awesome you were able to rescue these little babies and raise them to return to the wild. They are all still babies at 8 weeks and not yet a mature Mallard.

IMO, keeping them longer so you can release them all together would be a good thing. As hard as it may be, try not to become to attached to them by handling them. You still want them to remain on the wild side and be skittish of people and predators when you release them.

Please keep us posted on the big release day, any pics would be awesome! :)

https://animals.mom.me/long-mallard...ey usually fledge or take,12 and 14 weeks old.

Hello and Welcome to BYC. It's Awesome you were able to rescue these little babies and raise them to return to the wild. They are all still babies at 8 weeks and not yet a mature Mallard.

IMO, keeping them longer so you can release them all together would be a good thing. As hard as it may be, try not to become to attached to them by handling them. You still want them to remain on the wild side and be skittish of people and predators when you release them.

Please keep us posted on the big release day, any pics would be awesome! :)

https://animals.mom.me/long-mallards-mature-5262.html#:~:text=They usually fledge or take,12 and 14 weeks old.
Thank you for the advice on the age and maturity. I will be waiting at least a few weeks now to release, i want to give them the best chance possible in their new home.

As for handling, they are only held when being put in at night, as for the day they have free range of our field and stream so they have a pretty wild lifestyle besides at night, and are very skittish and hard to catch.

I’ll be sure to update this thread on release day with some photos
Thanks again 🦆

We started our flock out with two little wild Mallard hens from a private breeder, Miss Piggy and Porky who are now 22 weeks old. Both are very capable of flying over our other more heavier Rouen Pekin mixed ducks.

Long story short, I didn't want to clip their wings and I was worried at first they both might fly off while out free ranging with the others. We have a 4' fenced yard to where they can all get out twice a day with supervision to free range.

It was ok at first when both Mallards would take flight and fly around inside the fenced yard. Porky has just now started flying over the fence and landing outside of it and will pace back and forth along the fence trying to get back in with the others. She hasn't figured it out yet that she needs to fly back over the fence rather then trying to go through the fence. :he

Both little Mallards DO NOT like to be held and will start quacking non stop like an annoying car alarm that won't shut off until you put them back down on the ground. Then will rush over to the pool to rinse off like they have just been contaminated and need to clean up. LOL

I found this fishing net for when that happens again, large enough hoop with a handle that will extend and a soft like netting material with small enough holes not to hurt the duck. :celebrate

https://www.ahttps://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Folding-Landing-20-Inch-Premium/dp/B0030S7E6C?th=1mazon.com/Frabill-Folding-Landing-20-Inch-Premium/dp/B0030S7E6C?th=1

We started our flock out with two little wild Mallard hens from a private breeder, Miss Piggy and Porky who are now 22 weeks old. Both are very capable of flying over our other more heavier Rouen Pekin mixed ducks.

Long story short, I didn't want to clip their wings and I was worried at first they both might fly off while out free ranging with the others. We have a 4' fenced yard to where they can all get out twice a day with supervision to free range.

It was ok at first when both Mallards would take flight and fly around inside the fenced yard. Porky has just now started flying over the fence and landing outside of it and will pace back and forth along the fence trying to get back in with the others. She hasn't figured it out yet that she needs to fly back over the fence rather then trying to go through the fence. :he

Both little Mallards DO NOT like to be held and will start quacking non stop like an annoying car alarm that won't shut off until you put them back down on the ground. Then will rush over to the pool to rinse off like they have just been contaminated and need to clean up. LOL

I found this fishing net for when that happens again, large enough hoop with a handle that will extend and a soft like netting material with small enough holes not to hurt the duck. :celebrate

https://www.ahttps://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Folding-Landing-20-Inch-Premium/dp/B0030S7E6C?th=1mazon.com/Frabill-Folding-Landing-20-Inch-Premium/dp/B0030S7E6C?th=1
Sounds like they seem to stay with their flock! It’s nice to know they most likely won’t leave if not everyone can come. I have a net just like that so thank you so much for the great idea!:ya

I could clip their wings, but given the fact that they are more on the wild side and can fly. I like to think they have a pretty nice place and would not want to fly off and remain with their flock. :) I guess time will tell. LOL

Back
Top Bottom