When to remove heat lamp? - Arizona

Start at 85-90 degrees the first week. Lower it by 5 degrees a week until you reach ambient temperature.

I brood usually at the end of May to June. I generally use a heat lamp for the first 2 weeks, than generally they are outside during the day and I use it for another week or two at night. My chicks are generally off heat by 4 weeks most years. The temperature is generally 65-80 by them.

I would remove it now and then not put it out with them when they move. My chicks are out in the coop from day 1 and off heat by 4 weeks (in temps much lower than that). If you are really worried about them you could provide a huddle box, but it is not needed imo

It's a cardboard box with a hole cut in it for them to go in. Put pine shavings or straw inside for them. They may not use it and just huddle in a corner for warmth.

I asked this recently about my heat plate and based on responses removed it. My chicks are 6 and 4 weeks and have been in the coop with heat plate for 3 and 1 week.

Our overnight lows lately are right around freezing (32). Insulated coop stays about 5-10 degrees warmer.

They’ve been fine 2 days without.

In AZ your outside is probably warmer than indoor. I’d remove heat a few days and then put them outside. But I’m no expert.

I also live in AZ and some of my 3 week olds still use the heat plate at night. I'm leaving it in the coop until they are done feathering out. They've been outside since they were 4 or 5 days old.

Back
Top Bottom