When to start giving treats and what

I started when mine were about 4 weeks old. Make sure you offer grit to them though beforehand though. Mine just love grapes, especially white seedless grapes. I cut them in half and hand feed them, they love them. I also give them strawberriy tops, corn on the cob(raw) and lettuce cut up really good. Stay away from potato's i hear they can be toxic.

My 7 chicks are about 5 weeks old. I give them tomatoes from the garden (only one a day). They also really like the canteloupe "guts" that you usually throw away. Also when I feed them in the morning, if I don't have time to let them out of the coop I pick some grass and small leafy weeds and throw them in the coop. I noticed one of the chicks had runny poop yesterday but was otherwise acting normally so I cut back a little on the fruit.

Good treats are the ones YOUR chickens will eat .....mine seem to be picky compared to others posts I have read......they do like grapes and cooked rice.... love pizza,so its a matter of finding out what your's likes.......

Thanks, is there anything other than potatos not to feed them. I know there is a long list for dogs, like avacado, oinons, and grapes. Obviously grapes are okay for chickens, as several people have said it, but is there anything else that could harm them?

We've been giving our 4 week olds watermellon and they love it! I think its a good afternoon treat right now as we are in the middle of a heat wave and they love to drink the juice..and it cools them off a little.

Our girls (and 1 boy) are very fussy too. Things everybody else raves about they walk away from. So far they love the mellon as mentioned, egg yokes (their favorite) and steel cut oats.

We give treats only in moderation, and usually as a training tool. Now, all we have to do is show up and open the coop door and they RUN in!
roll.png

Ma

Back
Top Bottom