Chicken activities

TheChickenChaser

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Hey guys!
I was wondering, I am getting chickens for my birthday in may, and I was wondering, what are some activities that chickens would like? I will allow them to roam the yard, give them treats, cuddle with them, try the chicken leashes, and maybe occasionally let them inside to play? Any suggestions or comments for my little chickens?

Hi and :welcome! Are you referring to baby chicks or full grown chickens? Also, congratulations on your upcoming chicks! That is a wonderful birthday present!

Thanks for the welcome! I love this site so much already :) I was thinking long term for adults, but also any suggestions for the chicks would be awesome too! I am so excited for my babies! I am thinking speckled sussex and buffs for friendliness!

Well, for chicks they're going to stay in their brooder, eat, and sleep a lot (think newborn babies :)). As they get older (like when their wing feathers start coming in) and it's warm outside you can take them out into a pen. They will be happy to hop all over you and peck at the grass! You can make a gym set out of some branches, they will like jumping on that too as they get older.
A chicken is very easy to entertain. They spend most of their day looking for bugs, taking sandbathes, and begging for treats. I haven't tried using a leash on a chicken so I don't know how well they'd like that. Roaming the yard is the activity they will enjoy best :).
Those two breeds sounds wonderful! I've always wanted a Speckled Sussex but ended up getting a Jubilee Orpington instead. I have had two Buff Orpingtons so far and they are sweet birds. Just in case you didn't know, Buff is only the color of the bird; the actual breed is Orpington, and there are several varieties - Buff, Lavender, Jubilee, White, Chocolate, etc.

Well, for chicks they're going to stay in their brooder, eat, and sleep a lot. As they get older (like when their wing feathers start coming in) and it's warm outside you can take them out into a pen. They will be happy to hop all over you and peck at the grass!
A chicken is very easy to entertain. They spend most of their day looking for bugs, taking sandbathes, and begging for treats. I haven't tried using a leash on a chicken so I don't know how well they'd like that. Roaming the yard is the activity they will enjoy best :).
Those two breeds sounds wonderful! I've always wanted a Speckled Sussex but ended up getting a Jubilee Orpington instead. I have had two Buff Orpingtons so far and they are sweet birds. Just in case you didn't know, Buff is only the color of the bird; the actual breed is Orpington, and there are several varieties - Buff, Lavender, Jubilee, White, Chocolate, etc.
Thanks for the info! Also, buff orpingtons are autosex breeds right? Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me and answer my questions :) My one concern with getting chickens is that for the speckled sussex I would put a lot of time and love into one to discover that they are a rooster (we live in an area that doesn't allow them). I would get just buff orpington to avoid the rooster risk, but I have heard that speckled sussex are so friendly and can follow people so I would love that!

Thanks!

I set up a small enclosure with cardboard panels on top of an old doubled up sheet in the living room. I sit myself inside and let the chicks climb over me, even if they're only a day old. They are eager to explore, and 10 or 15 minutes away from they brooder a few times a day won't bother them. It pays dividends in their friendliness.

When they get a bit older (maybe a week or so), I take them outside for short excursions, maybe a half hour at a time, depending on weather. They love it, and are easy catch since they already know me.

Buff Orpingtons are not autosexing. I had one who was very friendly, but went broody every month in summer. I also had a Speckled Sussex who was very sweet!

I set up a small enclosure with cardboard panels on top of an old doubled up sheet in the living room. I sit myself inside and let the chicks climb over me, even if they're only a day old. They are eager to explore, and 10 or 15 minutes away from they brooder a few times a day won't bother them. It pays dividends in their friendliness.

When they get a bit older (maybe a week or so), I take them outside for short excursions, maybe a half hour at a time, depending on weather. They love it, and are easy catch since they already know me.
Thanks for the input! It would be perfect as I have a little enclosure already for them inside! Also, how easy are the chicks to catch? Should I put boundaries up? I don't want them to be able to escape, especially if there are more than one out at a time. I was thinking of getting a canopy/tent to give them a lot of space and access to the ground but won't let them escape. How does that sound?

Welcome! Congrats on your wonderful gifts, they will bring you so much joy! When our chickens were babies I loved giving them things to perch on and little bits of new foods - think grass clippings and raspberries - to try. Dont forget to give them access to chick grit if you feed anything except chick starter, though. Now that they’re adults they have dig boxes, potted herbs, a dust bath bucket, and a lot of perches to climb on to keep them busy.

Welcome! Congrats on your wonderful gifts, they will bring you so much joy! When our chickens were babies I loved giving them things to perch on and little bits of new foods - think grass clippings and raspberries - to try. Dont forget to give them access to chick grit if you feed anything except chick starter, though. Now that they’re adults they have dig boxes, potted herbs, a dust bath bucket, and a lot of perches to climb on to keep them busy.
Sounds great! I remember when I used to own chickens a long time ago, they would go nuts over grass clippings! I remember mowing the lawn and dumping the clippings in their pen:p

Back
Top Bottom