When to start worming chick - has been outdoors with mamma since day 1

caralouise1974

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Evesham, Worcestershire, UK
Can anyone advise me when I should worm my chick for the first time? She is six weeks old now and was raised by our broody, so has been outdoors in the run (and free ranging) with her momma and the other grown hens since hatching.

Should I be worming her yet? And can I use ivermectin pour-on drops, or should I stick to flubenvet? Thanks.

I think they recommend every 6 months so i'm guessing you can wait until she's 6 months old? I don't really know though.
idunno.gif

I've never wormed a chicken in the 33 years I've been raising them. I've never seen evidence of any worms and my chickens all thrive. Why mess with perfection? They free range on fresh turf all day and seem healthy? Don't fix what isn't broken......how's that for an idea?
big_smile.png

I use to worm at approx 14 weeks but that is because it normally fell when I was worming everyone. Alternativly you can add some chilli or garlic to her food which should keep the worms away (in parrots it stops them getting worms but if they have it does not help that well if they have worms)

Quote:
Sadly, my hens are in a small UK back garden, and their run stays on the same ground all year round; there is also only limited free ranging. I have to worm my girls under these conditions, or I would be risking a heavy infestation. I wish I had lots of space for free ranging and could keep moving them onto fresh ground, but that's not possible.

I will wait until 14 weeks to worm then, as that seems to be the most definitive answer so far. Thanks Angelic Vampyre.

Back
Top Bottom