When to take the heat light of?

Hannahmrobinson

Hatching
Jul 3, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all I was after some advice please, I currently have 4 silkie chickens 3 at 7 weeks old one at 6 weeks old they are in a plastic brooder in my house (my house is warm) is it ok to turn their light out at night now? The reason I'm asking this is they never seem to go under the heat light no more and sleep as far away a from it, but as soon I turn it of they go sleep under it ( they have more room where the light is) I've just currently turned it of and they have all gone to sleep under where the light is. Will they be ok or shall I turn the light back on? I'm worried and wanna make sure I'm doing the right thing but don't want them to get cold, it is summer here and my house is warm not cold at all so will they be ok?

Thank you

Hannah

I'm currently in West Yorkshire and I agree, it's nice to have some warm, sunny weather - you made the right choice, they are more robust than we think :)

I agree with burdboy...in the summer in an already warm brooder, the heat isn't as necessary for as long. Watch their behavior. If the light is at the proper height and they aren't clustering under it...that's the time to remove the heat source. Best of luck to you!

Thank you both, I really appreciated it It been off for the past hour and I've stayed up watching them and there still asleep under the light (lights not on) but they don't seem cold of making any noise. As soon as I turn the light on they move to the other end so I'm guessing it's to hot now for them and they don't want? When would you say it's ok to put them outside?

Thank you both, I really appreciated it It been off for the past hour and I've stayed up watching them and there still asleep under the light (lights not on) but they don't seem cold of making any noise. As soon as I turn the light on they move to the other end so I'm guessing it's to hot now for them and they don't want? When would you say it's ok to put them outside?

Depending on your local climate (it's helpful to include your general location under your avatar, so members can better advise on a range of issues) it should be fine for them to be outside now. I'm assuming that you don't live in the southern tip of South America and that its summer, where you live :)

Ct

Aww great thank you, it's been really warm in Lincolnshire I put them outside during the day with me but I just wasn't sure if they needed the light they didn't have it last night for the first time and they seemed happy :)

Back
Top Bottom