When to throw in the towel? Help Needed.

Hoosierchickens

Songster
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Cloverdale, IN
This is my first attempt at incubating. My eggs went on lockdown last Monday and they all looked good as far as I could tell with air cells and dark and veining. Day 21 started Thursday evening into Friday. It's now going into day 23 and no signs of hatching. I'm not even sure of any rocking. I'm curious how long I let them go before throwing in the towel. Are there any ways to tell if the eggs are still alive and if so at what point? Thanks for any advice.

I know the feeling. I have had 6 eggs due in the last 3 weeks but only 2 have hatch. I would candle them and see if you see any movement. But it does depend on the chick. I have a duck come 4 days early and a chick come 4 days late. It is very frustrating and the waiting is a killer, but you can candle them and see if you see any movement but I would say from what I have been told by a guy that hatches egg that lives about 3 blocks away from me, he said after 10 years of hatching he has seen some go as long as 8 days before hatching and some come as early as 6 days before their hatch date, and all lived and were healthy. Hatching is almost as nerve racking as being pregnant and waiting past your due date.

Thanks for the reply. I did candle one and didn't see any movement. It did have a good air cell as far as I could tell. I thought I saw one rock this morning. It's hard to tell. You stare at them for so long your eyes start to play tricks on you. I remember the chicks that these eggs came from were very slow to grow so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm not a very patient person so incubating may not be for me but these eggs came from my four remaining hens the week after my neighbors dog killed six of my hens and my one rooster so my heart is kinda set on them hatching. I guess that's added a lot of stress. If they don't hatch then it's kinda back to the drawing board as far as a self sustained flock because I'll have to order new chicks and wait for a rooster to mature. No worries though. I'm thankful for my four remaining hens. They are sweethearts.

It fluctuated a lot the first week but eventually was pretty steady at 99.5 - 100. I had some difficulty getting the humidity above 61% on day 18 and 19. I just candled a second egg and there was some slight movement so I put it back and will leave them alone for awhile longer.

Ha! I remember staring forever at the eggs and wondering if I was imagining movement or not. I would keep waiting, especially now that you saw movement in one. They may just be late.
I am not a very experienced hatcher, but I can tell you that the most exciting thing for me was when, one of the many times I was staring at the eggs, I suddenly heard a chirp! I thought I imagined it at first, but then it happened again, and again even louder. Very exciting!
Have fun!

fl.gif
:fl:fl
Good luck!
Ayda

CONFUSED..first timer....my broody hen(1st time) laid 15 eggs(found on 11/1)...3 eggs hatched on 11/22 and another 3 eggs hatched 11/23,none on 11/24...then on 11/25 I found dead chick and again today on 11/26 -I found another dead baby chick...there are 6 eggs remaining -she is still sitting....meanwhile the 6 chicks are active-eating and drinking....PLEASE would appreciate any help...thanks.

If your thermometer is off and the temp was a little low the chicks can take a few extra hours to a couple of extra days to hatch. I have had a hatch on day 23 and I usually leave the egg in the hatcher until day 25.

THANK you,thank you,thank you.....but my hen was sitting on eggs in nest box in coop outdoors ...no thermometer....and yes it has been little cooler (in mid40s at nights) but still not know why last 2 chicks DIED outside shell after hatching...seems problem in hatching ...not sure...

Back
Top Bottom