When to throw in the towel? Help Needed.

I had 2 chicks due November 7th and only one hatched. It two hatched late at night and had the yoke still out outside of his body, My temp was at 97 degrese the whole time and he cames out on day 24 and done it with out me knowing it. I think it is normal.

Quote:
Well, it's maybe normal for an incubation with low temps the whole way through, but it's definitely not normal for any incubation run at the recommended temperatures and correct humidities. Out of many hatches, I've never had a chick hatch with an external yolk sac. I've had one or two with bloody navels and little bits of attached umbilicus that took a day or so to dry up, but nothing more serious.

Quote:
If they were pretty much fully developed and in the head under wing hatching position, then it sounds like they probably died some time round about what would be 'day 18' in a normal incubation, i.e. meaning one that was run at the correct temperature. I'm not sure what that would translate to in an incubation run at 95.5 though. I'd imagine if it hadn't been for your high temp disaster, some of them would probably have hatched out eventually...

Better luck with your next attempt. I have (several times) successfully hatched eggs that have been stored for over 3 weeks, and got a good hatch rate each time (60%-80%) so if you get your temps spot on, there's a reasonable chance of success.

Just checking - your bator does have a fan, right?

Back
Top Bottom