When to turn out ducks?

You must have them in a big brooder? they must be making a huge mess in the house
Like @Texag87 seid taking them outside will help them acclimate. Some argue that subjecting them to cooler tempuratures makes their feathers grow in quicker

i cant understand how it would but it helps acclimate them for when their moving day comes. But your temps are definitly too cool right now

One of my broody Rhodie hens just hatched two duck eggs about 2 weeks ago that I found by the creek. I thought they might be turkey eggs.
Those little duckies are giving it hell on heels! They've never been inside and have been outside since they hatched. At just a little over 2 weeks old, they have quit sleeping under their Momma since it's been in the 50s and 60s at night. They run around all over the property with the rest of the free range chickens in the day. Boy Howdy, they sure grow faster than chickens! They are huge even if the have no feathers and are just covered in down. The last 2 nights I've had to put them to bed with their Momma because they are wanting to sleep on the ground under the coop by themselves. Luckily I have a good LGD that loves his babies! 🐣 🐤 🐥 He keeps an eye on them while patrolling the property and the rest of the birds, day and night. He got a hawk the other day that tried to get one of his chickens!
Woo Hoo!
He didn't kill it but he got it off his chicken!
Hopefully it won't be back.
I want to see pictures!

I want to see pictures!
This pic is them about a week ago.
2 little yellow and black duckies. At least I think they are ducks
20200208_163602.jpg
20200208_163602.jpg

could they be magpies? @WannaBeHillBilly you got magpies did they look like this?
My Magpies turned out to be black swedish ducks - or as i call them black screechy ducks.
Indeed those could be Magpies or Anconas, they look like the ducklings @SailorNoMore had last year. Or they are just beautiful muttlings. Definitely not the offspring of wild Mallard ducks.
Don't you have a population of wild Muscovy's in Texas? They could be Muscovy ducklings, i would need to see a closer picture of their bills. @Miss Lydia has Muscovys and afaik her's have also raised little duckies.

I have mine in the garage in the brooder. We are gone for 5 days... i have a poultry sitter coming by the house everyday, lol. So I dont have pics.. but yes, we are hosing out the garage everyday and cleaning the brooder everyday... they make a MESS! I cant wait for warmer weather. Im ready to get them in the coop to grow out.

Back
Top Bottom