When will all the feathers of your chickens come in? And when will the cockerels start crowing?

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
Two questions:

1. So I have several breeds of chickens and want to know when all their adult feathers and colors are done coming in so I can decide to keep the ones I like and give away the others. I have one clutch of 11 week olds and another or 9.

2. I also have some who people said were roosters, but they haven't crowed yet. I thought that they should have been crowing by 6-8 weeks.

Thanks!

Most are fully feathered at around 5-6 months, but some may take longer to grow in their tail.

They can crow anywhere from a week old to a year old. Most start to crow at around 4-6 months in my experiences.
I have some Seramas that started crowing at about 7 weeks which I thought was normal to be at, usually 6-8 is what I thought. These two and other I have have yet to crow, but I want to make sure before I rehome them.

Attachments

• 20230603_142003.jpg
    20230603_142003.jpg
    877.4 KB · Views: 5
Those look like males to me. You could try posting them in the what breed and gender forum for some more opinions.

I have a lot of mature roosters running around so the young boys are more wary, and often don't crow until they are a bit older. It all depends on the breed too with smaller breeds maturing faster.

I have some Seramas that started crowing at about 7 weeks which I thought was normal to be at, usually 6-8 is what I thought. These two and other I have have yet to crow, but I want to make sure before I rehome them.

Those are 8 weeks old? If so, they're definitely cockerels. You won't hear them crowing for another two months or so

Those look like males to me. You could try posting them in the what breed and gender forum for some more opinions.

I have a lot of mature roosters running around so the young boys are more wary, and often don't crow until they are a bit older. It all depends on the breed too with smaller breeds maturing faster.
I had earlier and I was told they were cockerels so I assumed that, but after all these weeks they still haven't crowed so I am not sure. Here was my original pic of one of them.
Well it all depends on what breeds you have. Some take way longer, and some way shorter. Most feather out completely at the 5-7 month mark. That goes for crowing as well. You won't hear crowing until 4-6 months for most breeds. So the question is, what breeds do you have?
This one is part Majesty Maran mix, I believe the other not pictured is a Cochin mix. Thy have a very hoase sounding chirp though the pullet and what I believe to be a cockerel.

Attachments

• 20230506_172948.jpg
    20230506_172948.jpg
    889.5 KB · Views: 4
I had earlier and I was told they were cockerels so I assumed that, but after all these weeks they still haven't crowed so I am not sure. Here was my original pic of one of them.

This one is part Majesty Maran mix, I believe the other not pictured is a Cochin mix. Thy have a very hoase sounding chirp though the pullet and what I believe to be a cockerel.

Yeah, most of your breeds fall under the normal category, so the time frames @oldhenlikesdogs and I mentioned apply for them. Your serama are the exception. And yes, you're correct, the bird pictured is in fact a cockerel

Back
Top Bottom