When will he crow? Black Orpington?

Welcome to BYC! In a moment of weakness (and some curiosity) I also bought some "Asian Black" pullet chicks from TSC. While they are mostly black, I have three distinct feather colorations in mine, so they are mixed breed somethings. Most of them have some red around the neck, like black sex links, but more of it. One has a bit of white under the chin, One is pretty much solid black, one has completely different feather markings, fine penciling like in a partridge colored bird, over the black. I got mine in August, and I think they are mostly pullets, two are still question marks as possible cockerels, but honestly I still am not 100% sure. All of them got combs very early (all single combs), and I thought I had a big batch of cockerels for a while. Now I'm pretty certain at least 6 are pullets, time will tell.

I'm thinking your birds may be Black Australorps. I have 3 and they looked identical at the age. As for the sex, I'd give it another couple weeks. Look for saddle feathers that usually come in around 14 weeks old. Your one could just be a fast maturing pullet. One of my 3 I was so sure was a cockerel because she was maturing so much faster. The are almost 2 years old now... She is just the boss lol

Thank you for the welcome's to the group. This site is filled with so much helpful info. For those of you who said both pullets :celebrate:wee
And helping me with breed info. You can tell a newbie by their posts. LOL
I'll follow up if it crows.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well!!

I'm thinking your birds may be Black Australorps. I have 3 and they looked identical at the age. As for the sex, I'd give it another couple weeks. Look for saddle feathers that usually come in around 14 weeks old. Your one could just be a fast maturing pullet. One of my 3 I was so sure was a cockerel because she was maturing so much faster. The are almost 2 years old now... She is just the boss lol
Thank you! Keeping fingers crossed. :fl
If it is a roo, he'll still have a home if he behaves himself. This one definitely is maturing faster than the other.

Back
Top Bottom