When will I get eggs?

From what I've read RIR can start around 18 weeks, EE around 26. Of course it'll vary depending on how they're raised and the hatchery.
The RIR could start in a couple weeks. Not all your RIR will start the same week.
My two Flocks, Golden Comets were first. Started at 16.5, all were laying by 19.
My latest flock of Barred Rocks, bought last August from TSC started between 20 and 23 weeks.
So in my experience in each type/breed, from first to lay to the last, averages 2.5 to 3 weeks.
Waiting for that first egg takes forever. View attachment 1836855. The first from my Barred Rocks on January 3. The white egg is fake. GC
thank you. This is very helpful

I have three 20 week old RIR's. One laid a tiny egg yesterday. I'm hoping the other two will join in with her shortly.
Yeah, I got a couple of them fairy eggs, one from my Barred Rocks when they started to lay and another from one my Golden Comet hens after she finished her molt.
Here's the egg from my pullets. 20190210_142130.jpg . It weighed 7 grams, .25 ounce. GC

Welp.....just got my first “egg” a woops drop on the porch. No shell at all. Just yolk and whites. What???!!
Sometimes first eggs have glitches while the egg factory gets going. Probably not to worry.

Back
Top Bottom