When will I know if he is a good one?

When can you accurately judge a cockerel (or rooster's) temperament?

• 6 months

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 1 year

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • 2 years

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
Pics

CSAchook

Enabler
5 Years
Aug 21, 2017
New Mexico
This is my first time raising a cockerel with the intention of keeping him. I have read and carefully followed the advice of Beekissed and @BantyChooks and so far so good. My cream legbar cockerel is 22 weeks old and properly respectful towards me. He is also good to his ladies. He tidbits them all but only mates with the hens (not the young pullets) and doesn't cause them undo stress.

But I know he is still very young, and his behavior might change. I will continue to keep a close eye on him (and cull if necessary) but I was just wondering; at what age do you think you can accurately judge the temperament of a cockerel? Or do you have to wait until a year old or more to be sure?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I think that by a year and a bit they're not prone to sudden changes in temperament, but they're not fully mature until about two.

I believe that under 2 years old the hormones swing to much to tell for sure but between one and two they settle in a lot.

11 months-ish is the time when I and a few people I know have noticed that some roosters turn bad.

Thanks you two! I am enjoying the ride so far, so I can be patient :D
The 11 months thing is very interesting. I knew the teenage hormones were a problematic time, now I know there are other potentially big turning points. I will remain vigilant!

I don't know if there is an age limit if he decides one day to just see what it is like to be a booty hole then he just does. Remember doodles have bad days or even a couple bad days in a row sometimes. Even iv'e threated Negan with a "vacation" when he's been a little sassy. It never lasts long, it is just a flaw in males of all species. :caf

Back
Top Bottom