When will I know if he is a good one?

When can you accurately judge a cockerel (or rooster's) temperament?

• 6 months

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 1 year

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • 2 years

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
Pics

CSAchook

Enabler
5 Years
Aug 21, 2017
New Mexico
This is my first time raising a cockerel with the intention of keeping him. I have read and carefully followed the advice of Beekissed and @BantyChooks and so far so good. My cream legbar cockerel is 22 weeks old and properly respectful towards me. He is also good to his ladies. He tidbits them all but only mates with the hens (not the young pullets) and doesn't cause them undo stress.

But I know he is still very young, and his behavior might change. I will continue to keep a close eye on him (and cull if necessary) but I was just wondering; at what age do you think you can accurately judge the temperament of a cockerel? Or do you have to wait until a year old or more to be sure?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I don't know if there is an age limit if he decides one day to just see what it is like to be a booty hole then he just does. Remember doodles have bad days or even a couple bad days in a row sometimes. Even iv'e threated Negan with a "vacation" when he's been a little sassy. It never lasts long, it is just a flaw in males of all species. :caf

I have had so many nasty cockerels in a row I didn’t think I was ever going to get a good one and I don’t handle them or anything either other than normal looking at them for bugs and health. All of a sudden I have 4 great cockerels/ roosters, a black copper Marans, Crested Cream Legbar, Blue Isbar and a ameraucana they are a pleasure to be around they are all just at one year old.

I think the biggest thing is to go about your business when near them. I don't do anything different. He is right there when I rake the run, change water, add food or pet the girls. He follows me around while I'm adding bolts here and there to secure the pen. If I'm on the other side, I can look up and he is right there watching me with such a look that I if human I would think he was supervising. He was completely interested in the tarping of the one side. He is used to noise, rakes, brooms, hoses, etc. He has shown zero aggression with visitors such as my son or sister. Of course o stand in front of them at first and watch him, but he shows complete neutral behavior. I feel like if I trust it, he trusts it because I firmly believe he trusts me. The only time I've ever disciplined him was when him and the other boy were challenging each other and he didn't seem hold that against me

Here is my boy Prince

image.jpg

I've read that it is best for a cockerel to be raised with older hens, and perhaps an older rooster that will check some of the adolescent craziness. Are there other flock dynamics involved? I'd be interested in what your experience has been.

I was mainly just trying to say that there are so many variables to consider, some generalizations apply, but some don't.

Personally, I keep quite a few roosters, but I have 8 pens, separated by breeds, plus a few bachelor boys that free-range. I prefer to keep 2 males in each pen, an older one, and a younger one. Most times, I don't have any problems doing this. I did have one second-in-command rooster decide he wanted to be top dog, but mostly the younger ones learn their place until they get their own flock. I've only had a couple of mean roosters. Right now, I have way too many roosters, and I'm currently evaluating which ones to keep, which ones to move, and which ones will go. I've moved roosters from one pen to another, and they sometimes seem like totally different birds, when given a new set of flockmates. I've removed roosters, and the remaining one may have a total different attitude once his "buddies" are gone.

One funny story, I had a little frizzled bantam cochin rooster. He was one of those quick ankle attackers, on occasion. Cocky little fella. After I got some frizzled girls, I needed to move him out. The only place I had for him was with some production red older hens that had just lost their rooster. They sure put that boy in his place. They bloodied his face, comb, wattles.... until he finally learned they were boss. He was hard-headed. But after he healed, he lived with them for a very long time, and was a great flock commander for them, and they eventually showed him plenty of love.

I don't know if there is an age limit if he decides one day to just see what it is like to be a booty hole then he just does. Remember doodles have bad days or even a couple bad days in a row sometimes. Even iv'e threated Negan with a "vacation" when he's been a little sassy. It never lasts long, it is just a flaw in males of all species. :caf
Lol, I have bad days too! Just ask my DH! I won't turn him into soup for having an off day. :D But I don't want to get too attached either if it seems like he might still go dark side on me someday. ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom