When will my EE hen start laying ?

Mini-Daisy

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2018
South Korea
Hello,
My hen Sulley has yet to lay her first egg (she’s around 5 months old) and seems to be not planning on laying any eggs soon, or at least that’s what I’m thinking and I was wondering what the reason for that could be.

Since around two month it has been cold here,but she has been dealing pretty well with it. Her comb and wattles have turned more red but she’s not squatting or anything like that.

(she’s always really interested in the camera so it’s sometimes difficult to actually take a photo)
E87DD9D3-EF71-48C7-9B31-62B1813DA7E9.jpeg

F593B3E5-1A43-4F4F-A491-D4E0D6808B2D.jpeg

CAAD30E3-53B9-482C-8800-922D6D565931.jpeg

Is it possible that she doesn’t lay because it’s still too cold outside?
What other reasons could there be ?

It depends more on the physical maturity of the pullet as to when she will lay the first egg, but daylight length is the second most important factor. I have an EE that just began laying again after fall molt, and the day length here is barely eleven hours long. Most hens won't have their hormones triggered with any less than twelve hours of daylight.

You can measure her pelvic bones on each side of her vent to tell how close she is to laying. If you can only fit one finger between these two knobby bones, she's going to need a bit longer to start her career. If you can fit two fingers between them, get the frying pan heated up for that first egg.

There is a recent post about someone getting their first EE egg at 11 months.....

My EE is just over 5 months too and nothing yet here.

Could be a while but I’m praying it’s tomorrow haha

Oh wow haha:eek: ok thank you so much for answering !
I’m a bit relieved it’s not just my pullet, but it’s so hard to wait that long. Hope our hens won’t take that long :fl

It depends more on the physical maturity of the pullet as to when she will lay the first egg, but daylight length is the second most important factor. I have an EE that just began laying again after fall molt, and the day length here is barely eleven hours long. Most hens won't have their hormones triggered with any less than twelve hours of daylight.

You can measure her pelvic bones on each side of her vent to tell how close she is to laying. If you can only fit one finger between these two knobby bones, she's going to need a bit longer to start her career. If you can fit two fingers between them, get the frying pan heated up for that first egg.

Oh I didn’t really know i could measure that, thank you so much!
About the day length I will just have to wait more since it lately has been around 11 hours I would say, but it’s increasing. Thanks again for the information

My three EEs started laying around 5-6 months. They just turned 8 months have been laying like crazy. Our winters are not constantly cold. For example today it was 70 degrees but tomorrow its supposed to drop to the 30s.

I see, Guess I really just need to be more patient :rolleyes::). Lately the weather has gotten warmer which gave me hopes of getting my first eggs soon.

Waiting for that "first" egg teaches patience :pop Incubating eggs teaches patience :hugs Red comb/wattles are the signs of maturing, the squatting is exciting but the pelvic measurement is like waiting for the water to boil :fl Think my girls felt I was being intrusive measuring as often as I did :lau

Back
Top Bottom