When will she give birth

Pics
I doubt they'll want to cate for the puppies, but they may want any money you get from them (if you decide to sell them, which I recommend for finding a good home).
Or worse, they may want them because they're cute puppies but neglect them.
If they find out about them that is.

As I mentioned in my first post, given the information provided, if I were in the same situation, I would do as I said. Your situation is different than mine. Your location and the laws surrounding animals will be different.

however. The concerns about the puppies all circles back to the legality of it all. I’m sorry guys, I get where you’re all coming from with what the best situation would be for the dogs themselves, but you get yourselves into hot water really fast if you don’t address those things. I’ve seen some pretty horrible things and even the professionals need to go through the right channels. In some cases those channels are to report the people that are neglectful or abusing the animal(s) but it gets dicey. (I work at a vet clinic where we used to get a LOT of backyard breeders/I didn’t know they’d mate with their brother/sister, etc. Along with a lot of those borderline abuse/neglect cases that you’re hesitant to report. Cuz you know, some of those people are so shady that... you don’t know if you personally would be safe if you made the call.) you have to look at all the repercussions surrounding any of your actions in a case like this. In some instances, the original owners of animals have been willing to relinquish their ownership because they don’t really want the problem. That may be the case if something goes wrong. My dog became mine because she refused to stay home, not because she didn’t like it there but she’s a bad runner, and then was hit by a car and brought in. They didn’t want to keep her and deal with it, so they signed her over to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

But I’m not joking about having a plan in place with your parents helping in making the final decisions here. If something goes wrong and this dog needs help, what are you going to do? Are you going to fork over thousands of dollars to a vet for surgery if it comes down to it(provided you can somehow avoid the sticky ownership issue) to have the actual owner then turn around and demand their dog, and the puppies, back? Again, I’m not being a downer, I’m being realistic. Some inbred puppies can be fetal monsters, causing the need for a c-section, or have other issues requiring a lot more care (or euthanasia). We once euthanized an entire litter that had all kinds of horrible deformities. A brother/sister pairing. Again, are you prepared and able to deal with these things?

chances are she’ll be perfectly fine, puppies will be fine, actual owners won’t care. But I sure wouldn’t be detaining an animal that isn’t mine that has already caused problems with the legal owner. Let her come around, give her a space if she wants it, but keep your nose clean and don’t create more problems for yourself. Let her have her puppies, don’t say anything unless asked, and don’t shoot yourself in the foot with any of it.

Back
Top Bottom