When will she give birth

Pics

JadeFarms

🙄🤚 Loving life 💜
May 3, 2019
Florida
This is my neighbors dog, she stays at my house because she’s afraid of her owners and because of my young age I can’t call anyone on them. She’s pregnant (and they say she isn’t. But she’s growing and growing so I’m just wondering when you think she’ll give birth. She’s found and her babies will be inbred and I feel so bad. We call her Naula but her names littlebit. I love her to death.
AD30D14A-3938-4AAA-96C3-86D6539B1AFB.jpeg
2A7283D1-B29A-455F-80E5-00FE42AD5C25.jpeg

@JadeFarms You need to convince your parents to do something about this dog. She WILL NOT be safe if you down drive era to the shelter, or call animal control. This is serious. If you really want to do all you can for this dog just try too talk to your parents about it. I totally understand how stressful, and maybe scary this is to be dealign with, but also talk to your neighbor's, and see if they can drive her to the shelter. If they fiscally beat the dog THEY NEED TO BE REPORTED!
I am only on page 13 here, so may be way behind, but all these voices are urging this minor to report them, report them, report them. I am going to be a different voice. Dad says don't get involved. The dog's owners are the kinds of people who beat, neglect and abuse their animals. Sounds to me like they are the kind of people Dad does not want to get involved with. They are not nice people. Maybe they are not SAFE people. Remember, OP is a minor. Dad has the best judgment here. The dog needs care, but keeping OP safe and not bringing down the Wrath of Khan upon a single dad and his daughter is more important. In my opinion. Above all, be safe!

This thread started out being kind and helpful, and now it seems like everyone is pressuring the OP into doing something she has clearly stated she cannot do. Maybe animal control won't do anything where she lives. And how is she supposed to get the dog to a shelter? She said she can't drive, and her parent won't do anything. Most shelters, other than Humane society's, euthanize dogs and cats that aren't adopted out after so long, or if they don't have enough space. Most humane society's won't take in dogs from somebody dropping them off, or they call it "surrendering" animals, and there is usually a fee. I think the OP is already doing everything she can, and doing a great job of it. She has helped this dog in tremendous ways. Most people wouldn't even care, and she is doing everything she can while risking getting in trouble.

As I mentioned in my first post, given the information provided, if I were in the same situation, I would do as I said. Your situation is different than mine. Your location and the laws surrounding animals will be different.

however. The concerns about the puppies all circles back to the legality of it all. I’m sorry guys, I get where you’re all coming from with what the best situation would be for the dogs themselves, but you get yourselves into hot water really fast if you don’t address those things. I’ve seen some pretty horrible things and even the professionals need to go through the right channels. In some cases those channels are to report the people that are neglectful or abusing the animal(s) but it gets dicey. (I work at a vet clinic where we used to get a LOT of backyard breeders/I didn’t know they’d mate with their brother/sister, etc. Along with a lot of those borderline abuse/neglect cases that you’re hesitant to report. Cuz you know, some of those people are so shady that... you don’t know if you personally would be safe if you made the call.) you have to look at all the repercussions surrounding any of your actions in a case like this. In some instances, the original owners of animals have been willing to relinquish their ownership because they don’t really want the problem. That may be the case if something goes wrong. My dog became mine because she refused to stay home, not because she didn’t like it there but she’s a bad runner, and then was hit by a car and brought in. They didn’t want to keep her and deal with it, so they signed her over to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

But I’m not joking about having a plan in place with your parents helping in making the final decisions here. If something goes wrong and this dog needs help, what are you going to do? Are you going to fork over thousands of dollars to a vet for surgery if it comes down to it(provided you can somehow avoid the sticky ownership issue) to have the actual owner then turn around and demand their dog, and the puppies, back? Again, I’m not being a downer, I’m being realistic. Some inbred puppies can be fetal monsters, causing the need for a c-section, or have other issues requiring a lot more care (or euthanasia). We once euthanized an entire litter that had all kinds of horrible deformities. A brother/sister pairing. Again, are you prepared and able to deal with these things?

chances are she’ll be perfectly fine, puppies will be fine, actual owners won’t care. But I sure wouldn’t be detaining an animal that isn’t mine that has already caused problems with the legal owner. Let her come around, give her a space if she wants it, but keep your nose clean and don’t create more problems for yourself. Let her have her puppies, don’t say anything unless asked, and don’t shoot yourself in the foot with any of it.

If they go to jail, they can't get more dogs, maybe there is something down near where the area is that you can make a day out of, not very likely but thought I would throw it out there.
People like that don't go to jail, they get summoned to court then fined...so then they're very angry about being fined and/or missing work to go to court. When they get back home from that, they take their anger out on the poor anmal, then try to figure out who could've reported them. Just be careful. You mentioned there aren't many other neighbors around, odds are even though they may be nasty, uncaring jerks, with no compassion or sense of responsibility for a pregnant pet that should have been spayed in the first place, they are not so stupid that they won't look around & realize that odds are the person that reported them must live close by them. That poor dog definitely needs a better home, but you don't know exactly what those people are capable of. You also don't know if that poor dog may have microchip ID, which is standard for most dogs that have ever spent time at an SPCA, Humane Assoc or rescue facility. Just be careful.

Maybe the same state is close enough, the control doesn't have to know where you live @EverythingDucks! This might be a great solution! :fl
I am still reading, but as a grandparent with an adopted daughter, like OP's situation, this is what I would be afraid of: There are very few neighbors, OP and Grandfather have had problems with neighbors already, we know these people have no respect for animal life and don't know if it is any different with human life. These "people", the neighbors may assume OP and grandpa were the ones who reported them. Being in the same situation, I am sure Grandpa has to work, where does this leave OP if and when she must be home alone with the creeps down the street??? Can we please be as concerned about OP and her life as we are the dog and her puppies. Please stop encouraging her to do something that may endanger her as she does her best to help these animals.
Thank you

OP, kudos to you for helping the animals around you. I grew up in a similar situation (although in an urban area). Now I try to help animals and their owners as an attorney. Sometimes that includes talking with my clients and helping them realize they can’t care for their animals adequately and they deserve a better life. Keep your love of animals and I know whatever you grow up to do you will make a difference for animals.

Now for the matter at hand:
Here are 3 key reasons not to steal the puppies or defy your grandfather and call AC: 1) Animal Control cannot just take ownership of a person’s pets. AC will hold the dog for a period of time. The owners can go retrieve her by paying a fee and possibly getting her UTD on shots and getting her a license. You’ll likely end up with angry neighbors, an angry grandfather, and a possible reputation that may make impossible for you to help the other animals around you.
2) The dog produces puppies that your neighbors make money off of. Even if they don't want to pay the fees AC will fine them they likely will just get another female dog from somewhere else and start the cycle over again. 3) Not every animal gets a happy ending getting picked up by AC.

I know it sucks, but in most states pets are property and people can get in real trouble stealing property or even getting the dog spayed w/o their owner’s consent. This person sounds like a BACKYARD BREEDER. Even if you can’t help this dog, you can learn from and share your experience. You can be a powerful advocate.
This isn’t legal advice. I am just pointing out very real drawbacks to other recommendations.

Finally, a lot of people forget what it’s like to be a kid. As a minor you are vulnerable. Don’t let people sitting behind screens make you feel bad by the natural limitations of being a minor or influence you by telling you what they would do in your situation. Most adults are not as brave as they like to believe themselves to be because they don’t have the stomach for conflict. Conflict = risks and the older one gets the more risk averse one becomes. Remember that and don’t judge your grandfather too much.
I hope you keep doing what you do for the animals around you—within the confines you’re given—and best of luck!

I agree. Hopefully I didn’t contribute to the issue you brought up by suggesting OP asks if they can let the dog raise puppies in their hay room. I never doubted that the OPs father (I am realizing now I may have possibly made a mistake in my previous posts, by not realizing OP has a single dad) was trying to stay safe, I think now I regret saying he may not care. He probably does care, but more so of OPs safety in this situation where the problem people are involved with animal abuse. I don’t have an outlook on how these neighbors are towards humans, but if it is a safe thing to do, I do think that OP and her dad may find it easier to offer keeping her In the hay room for free during the birth and while the puppies are being raised. At least during the birth. I don’t know of a reason they would turn this down, it sounds like a good offer.
He’s actually my grandpa, he adopted me. But he’s worried about safety, your right.

You’re in a delicate situation and need to be cautious. I understand your concerns, and I’m not sure on the laws in your area, but things can get nasty with neighbours like that. Personally, if the dog came into my yard of her own free will, and wanted to set up shop there to have her puppies, well, that’s not my choice, i would let her do her thing. I would let the neighbours know she’s nesting here, that I’m alright with her having them here, and that I was fine with it if they were. Legally they’re the owner whether you like them or not. I’m not having issues with my neighbours though, and also not a minor however, which unfortunately adds another layer to your dilemma. My biggest question to you is, if she has trouble what are you going to do? Legally she’s not your dog, and if she needs a vet visit that’s going to get complicated fast. Things to discuss with your parents ASAP for sure. She looks like a decent sized dog (and a sweetheart!!) so hopefully she’ll be alright with the actual whelping. A quiet area is best, don’t fuss over her too much, and remember that even the nicest dog may not be when they’re protecting their new babies. Just be cautious around her as she’s whelping and afterwards. :)
I’m not trying to be a downer, I think it’s awesome that you’re helping this beautiful girl, but you have to be especially careful in sticky situations where the animal doesn’t actually belong to you.

Back
Top Bottom