When Will She Lay?

morninggloryhatchery

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Wasilla
I have a Cayuga and Pekin. There are about 6-7 months and not one egg from them. I have only 1 drake and it's a Indian Runner. I haven't seen him harrassing them at all of being mean. since it is almost winter for me in Alaska, will that mean they will start laying next season?

And has anyone ever crossed a Indian runner with a Cayuga or Pekin?

Ay help welcome!

Ducks lay eggs depending on the available hours of light per day. I think they need about 14 hours/day. You probably don't have enough hours of light right now. If you don't want to wait until Spring, you can give them a couple extra of hours per day. Use a timer and have the light come on around 4 am and go off at sunrise.

My "babies" are 17 weeks old, and one of them gave me my first 2 eggs yesterday! I was so excited! They are like thin plastic or rubber, and are tiny, but are holding their shape..........it's a start! I can't wait to get proper eggs! I hadn't even put out oyster shell yet, because I really didn't think I would see any eggs until spring. It's out now, so hopefully, she or they will start laying hard shelled eggs.

One of my Welsh Harlequins laid "jello eggs" for about 2 weeks. I have a bowl of oyster shells out all the time. Even with that, it can take a while for things to sort themselves out.

That is good to know Wifezilla........these are my first ducks and eggs, so I won't worry too much if it goes on for a bit. Funny little things........I wish I could preserve them! My first chicken eggs I blew them out and have kept them.......guess I am either sentimental or a bit nuts!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom