When will they start roosting???

Bekahmarie

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
East Texas
75C7163D-C70A-4D39-94AB-E34A1619BB0F.jpeg
I
I just moved the babes to their coop for the first time yesterday and I noticed they didn’t roost last night. Will it take a while? What can I expect?

Give it time. They’ve been used to sleeping on the floor up until now most likely. As they become used to their new digs and discover the roost and get older they’ll figure it out. Mine did after a few days. You may have to put a couple of them up there in the evenings to show them what they’re for. And as long the roost are higher than any other spot they may be able to get to they’ll figure it out.

Give it time. They’ve been used to sleeping on the floor up until now most likely. As they become used to their new digs and discover the roost and get older they’ll figure it out. Mine did after a few days. You may have to put a couple of them up there in the evenings to show them what they’re for. And as long the roost are higher than any other spot they may be able to get to they’ll figure it out.
I did put a short roost in their trough. But I put them up there, showed them the stairs.... so I’m hoping I’m a few days. 💜

Since they don't have adult birds to show them what to do, they should figure it out on their own with time.

If you prefer you can be the "adult bird" and manually place them on roosts once it's dark, to show them that's where should be.

Back
Top Bottom