Where can I buy a hat for my chicken?

splum

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
I have one chicken with a large crown. The other chickens peck at it keeping scabs on it. My kids worry its frostbite but it hasn't gotten real cold yet, down to 28 on a few nights. She is tucked in with her flock though.
But I thought a little hat would fix both problems, whichever one it is.
Anyone know where to find one or have one to sell?

For a long-term fix, especially with regards to the pecking issues which are a concern year-round rather than just seasonally, a better solution may be to dub the comb vs. trying to get a cap to stay in place at all times. As to frostbite, as long as the bird is in a well ventilated place it isn't that much of a concern - it is when it is cold and damp that you have to worry about frostbite as the moisture is what does you in, not the cold. Cold, dry air is not as much of a concern, hence the need for good ventilation on any enclose spaces such as the coop. All that being said, dubbing is a bit of a drastic step and one that some are not comfortable with, so if the damage from the pecking is not serious and you have ample ventialtion I'd just leave it alone all together.

Last edited:
I have one chicken with a large crown. The other chickens peck at it keeping scabs on it. My kids worry its frostbite but it hasn't gotten real cold yet, down to 28 on a few nights. She is tucked in with her flock though.
But I thought a little hat would fix both problems, whichever one it is.
Anyone know where to find one or have one to sell?
There is an old adage about curiosity killing the cat. Well many chickens have been mauled and injured because the flock became curios about a fellow flock members' feathers, lack thereof, comb, or some new accessory like a hat. .

Some strange new head gear may just bring more unwanted attention to your low ranking hen. These type of things is why I never recommend mixed flocks because some of the birds are just too strange looking or different for the other chickens too keep their beaks to themselves and a lonely bird ends up paying a cruel price for human vanity.

The reason that peace reigns (well almost) in most large confined chicken feeding operations (laying and broiler farms) is because no one chicken can remember all the faces of that many hens and roosters.

You will be almost assured of having to step in and rescue your straight comb hen if or when you make substantial alterations in her looks.

Dubbing would be a last resort IMO....but a hat is certainly not a viable solution.

Post a clear close up pic of this birds comb.

Tell us more about your flock.... how many birds? how much space?
How long have the other birds been picking on this one's comb?

Would you please post a photo of this large problematic comb? It will be much easier for us to see what the solution might be.

I had a SLW pullet several years back who managed to grow a very impressive set of comb and wattles more suited to a rooster. The rose comb was very elongated with a long "tail" protruding beyond her head in back. The other chickens became fixated on her comb and would grab hold of the tail on the back part of the comb, ripping it from her head, leaving it dangling on several occasions.

The situation didn't resolve itself as I had hoped it would, and I decided on the drastic measure of partial dubbing. As has been pointed out, this is a decision not to be taken lightly. The comb has a huge blood supply, and it will bleed a LOT.

I enlisted help with the operation from two other people. First I prepared a large bowl of ice water. I had corn starch handy to put on the wound to stop the bleeding.

After numbing the comb by dipping her comb in the ice water, I took very sharp scissors and carefully cut away the tail of the comb so it was flush with her head. Then I dipped her comb again in the ice water to slow the bleeding. Then I dusted it with the corn starch. It's been seven years since I did it, so I don't recall how long I kept her from the flock after the surgery. But you don't want to return the patient until the bleeding has stopped and the incision hardened.

But this operation is pretty simple. Don't fool yourself that it's painless for the chicken, though

. The comb is rich in both blood supply and feeling. But the scalping this poor girl was receiving was far more painful and traumatic than the one-time dubbing she had to endure. After the comb healed, she never had it mauled again by the flock.

Back
Top Bottom