Where can I find a heater base for a waterer ....more

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LittleHouseDreams, Nov 13, 2008.

1. LittleHouseDreams

LittleHouseDreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Hello,
    Sorry if you all get these questions all the time but:

Where can I find a heater base for a waterer?

Should I use a metal waterer or plastic (plastic would melt right? or do the heaters not get that hot?)

Oh and at what age can I offer scratch to my hens?

Boring I know but I'm hoping that the experienced chicken keepers can give me some advice.

Thank you

2. Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2008
  3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Check your feed-store for the base, I use a galvanized waterer on top.

Scratch? Anytime after they're fully feathered would be fine, but don't give toooo much. My lot get about 3 cups twice a day.
    I have a total of around 30 feathered flappers in my backyard.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Where can I find a heater base for a waterer?
    http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/

Should
    I use a metal waterer or plastic (plastic would melt right? or do the heaters not get that hot?)
    IMO, it's best to use a metal waterer & metal heater

Oh and at what age can I offer scratch to my hens?
    What age are your hens? If they're a few months old, then go ahead & give it to them, but not too much and only as a treat.

Hope that helps. [​IMG]

5. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

For an electric heater base, try Randall Burkey Company, Inc. (http://www.randallburkey.com/)
    Item Number: 10019 Unit Price: $44.99

I haven't tried this particular product,
    instead I have the HEATED 3 GALLON PLASTIC POULTRY FOUNTAIN Item Number: 10020 Unit Price: $39.99,
    but I've been very happy with this supplier.

6. LittleHouseDreams

LittleHouseDreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Thank you so much. You've all been very helpful.

7. chickenporkarosa

chickenporkarosa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    lupton, michigan
    LHD-I use a heated water dish for dogs. Just started trying this, I refill it with a gallon jug of water every 2-3 days. It works well with my 12 RIR hens.

8. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I ordered/recieved my electric 3gallon poultry waterer from McMurray a few weeks ago-it will come on at 35 degrees or so. it plugs into an extension cord and had a handle to hang it. You dont go through the trouble of unscrewing the base and filling like a mason jar style waterer because it has a plug type fill hole on the bottom. I just feel the bases are unpredictable as far as one of the chickens knocking it off and spilling out. The bases cost the same as this whole unit. $39.95+s/h. [​IMG]

9. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    If you already have a metal waterer, I suggest getting one of those coffe mug warmers or a candle warmers from walmart for $2.97 it's the kind that just has a base, and sit the waterer on it. I used one for my dogs bowl in the winter and it worked great. Good Luck!

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I have a metal water heater base that I bought in 1993 and never had a problem with the chickens knocking anything off. I have to get a new one finally, as the wire is frayed and after 15 years I believe it is time. I have to check my feed store or I will be dumping water when it gets cold next week! I know TSC has some, but their's were not like my old one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by