LittleHouseDreams

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Ohio
frow.gif
Hello,
Sorry if you all get these questions all the time but:

Where can I find a heater base for a waterer?

Should I use a metal waterer or plastic (plastic would melt right? or do the heaters not get that hot?)

Oh and at what age can I offer scratch to my hens?

Boring I know but I'm hoping that the experienced chicken keepers can give me some advice.

Thank you

Check your feed-store for the base, I use a galvanized waterer on top.

Scratch? Anytime after they're fully feathered would be fine, but don't give toooo much. My lot get about 3 cups twice a day.
I have a total of around 30 feathered flappers in my backyard.

Where can I find a heater base for a waterer?
http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/

Should
I use a metal waterer or plastic (plastic would melt right? or do the heaters not get that hot?)
IMO, it's best to use a metal waterer & metal heater

Oh and at what age can I offer scratch to my hens?
What age are your hens? If they're a few months old, then go ahead & give it to them, but not too much and only as a treat.

Hope that helps.
smile.png

I ordered/recieved my electric 3gallon poultry waterer from McMurray a few weeks ago-it will come on at 35 degrees or so. it plugs into an extension cord and had a handle to hang it. You dont go through the trouble of unscrewing the base and filling like a mason jar style waterer because it has a plug type fill hole on the bottom. I just feel the bases are unpredictable as far as one of the chickens knocking it off and spilling out. The bases cost the same as this whole unit. $39.95+s/h.
big_smile.png

If you already have a metal waterer, I suggest getting one of those coffe mug warmers or a candle warmers from walmart for $2.97 it's the kind that just has a base, and sit the waterer on it. I used one for my dogs bowl in the winter and it worked great. Good Luck!

I have a metal water heater base that I bought in 1993 and never had a problem with the chickens knocking anything off. I have to get a new one finally, as the wire is frayed and after 15 years I believe it is time. I have to check my feed store or I will be dumping water when it gets cold next week! I know TSC has some, but their's were not like my old one.

Back
Top Bottom