Where can I get another 2 baby chicks that are 28 days old?

Sad Chick

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2023
Hi everyone!

I had hatched chicks exactly 28 days ago, but out of the dozen I bought, only 3 hatched. One of them, (the runt), died on day 1 :(. The remaining 2 ( I named them Popcorn& Butter), lived for a good ~23 days before Popcorn tragically died. While I was letting them out for fresh air, Popcorn got eaten by a bird of some sort. It wasn't until I went outside to bring them in that I realized Popcorn was gone. All that was left was a pile of fluff& feathers under the tree. Now, his brother/sister is really clingy and chirps when I am not around, and can't sleep by himself. I was planning to buy another 2 chicks from where I had got the eggs originally, but they didn't have any baby chicks at the time. Or at least none that were the same age as Butter.

Any ideas on where I can get 2 chicks about the same age?

Im sorry a predator, probably a hawk, took your chick. 4-week-old chicks are still pretty tiny; I dont let my chicks out of their secure pens until they are around 3 months old due to all the predators in my area. Buying 4-week-old chicks comes with risks of diseases unless you buy from a reliable national hatchery, and started pullets are pricey. Plus, depending on current temps, hatcheries may not ship older chicks in the heat. Your best option may be to get some chicks from your local feed store and raise them where your lone chick can see them from day 1. Within 2-3 weeks, the new chicks will be big and mobile enough that you can probably combine them. Also, chicks aren't selling as well as they were earlier this year. Your local feed store(s) may have unsold chicks that are 1 week and possibly even 2 weeks old, the bonus being their price is heavily discounted. Older feed store chicks would be great for your situation; I would call around and check.

You can also try Craigslist. I know it sounds sketchy but my first flock was from CL all healthy and still thriving. FB too might help. For things in your area.

Back
Top Bottom