Where did this egg come from?

redkan

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Central Maine
Right now I have 1 adult bantam EE currently sitting on eggs, 1 1 year old Ameraucauna hen who I believe has always laid green eggs, 3 Black Australorp and 3 Ameraucauna pullets, all born approx. 5/5/08 so not quite 3 months old. My question is where did the egg below come from? The pullets should all be too young to lay, right? But this is not only the wrong color but also very small (slightly larger than a 9volt battery) to be the Ameraucauna's egg. What do you think, is this from one of my BA pullets?

New%20Egg.jpg

If it's a first egg it would be smaller than their normal eggs but I dunno about color.

If you know your Ameraucauna lays green eggs it couldn't be from her. I don't believe they can change egg color just to play a prank on their owner, lol. What color does your EE lay when she isn't broody? Perhaps she is the culprit? If that doesn't match her egg color I would say one of your young ones must be an early layer.

Hmm.... let see if I can remember you all ....

Yes, thank you. I like the bowl too ... and the matching tray. Gift from my daughter.

Ummm.... Thanks SA, I kinda wondered how that worked.
wink.png

My bantam EE lays pink eggs although the size is about right and although I'm not 100% that my Ameraucana lays green eggs I've never found anything in the past to indicate she might be laying brown. I just lost my BR and had always assumed that my brown eggs were coming from her. Is it possible for my young ones to lay this early? At less than 3 months? (I have to admit, I bought the BA's because I read they were good steady layers.)

Possible. I locked my "old" one in with them today as we still don't have the fox. Will guineas lay in a roosting box? Because that's where I found it. I never considered her.

Back
Top Bottom