Where did you get your chickens?

RoosterAddict99

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 23, 2012
Okay, so I have a question. Where did everyone purchase thier chickens from? I have purchased from Murray Mcmurray hatchery for 2 years now but, I can get laying hens cheaper at other hatcheries. My mcmurray chicks have always arrived healthy and true to thier breed but, they are expencive. I have been flipping through other hatchery catologs and want to try another hatchery this spring. So please tell me where you bought your birds from and how the quality of the birds are. What breeds did you buy that you are satisfied with? I have also heard from people who have TSC birds. How are they? Thanks in advance!!!

TSC just re-sells hatchery chicks. They use a number of different hatcheries, depending on location.

x2. You can also try Craigslist. I got my first batch from a local gal and do think it is preferable to be able to pick them up rather than have them shipped through the mail. Also, locally you aren't limited to getting them during chick days at the feed stores - you can find them somewhat year round, depending on when local people around you are hatching.

If you live in a place where you can keep roosters, you might consider getting one or two and an incubator and hatching out your own, as well.

I got mine off Craig's List locally. I decided I'd rather get laying hens than chicks, and we found a reasonable price on exactly the breed and number...I think it was fate ;)

My mcmurray chicks have always arrived healthy and true to thier breed but, they are expencive.

If you buy at TSC, the chicks, depending on type, are around $2.95. They might break past $3 next year, due to rising costs. If you order a box of 25 or more from hatcheries, the price is around $2.25 but, you've got to add some shipping/handling which pretty much bumps the price up to TSC levels.

I don't think $3 a chick is expensive. I don't know where you'd buy them any cheaper, frankly. The initial cost is the least of one's expense when it comes to chicks anyhow. Brooder supplies, bulbs, electricity, feed, feed and more feed. We add it ALL up, because we have a farm status with the state. It is extremely challenging to get a pullet to point of lay for less than $12-$14 depending on local feed costs. If the price of the chick is too high, frankly, and I say this honestly, that is the least of your financial concerns.

Plus, since you mentioned "true to their breed", frankly, hatchery stock is rarely, if ever, anywhere near true to breed. For that, you'll have to find a reputable breeder and I suspect that breeder's prices will make the hatchery prices look pretty darn good. LOL

Originally the farm store. I'm hoping to get all my future chickens from breeders and hatch my own.:)

TSC almost 91/2 yrs. ago, initially, then went to Meyer hatchery and this yr. am breeding my own and realized people are giving away free on CL(just like poor pups/kittens so now chickens are the critters to dump, obviously). Am picking up 12 adult hens later today and may not keep if they're too old or something else too wrong with them. Will keep at least ONE of the hens, Sally, owner said was her favored hen.Am banding Sally so I can tell her apart initially. Not sure breed. Owner said she THOUGHT Red rock but I now realize there is no such thing.Maybe RIR?

I usually buy chicks from a local feed store that my friend encountered so thats when I started raising chickens, from chicks to hens and even more chicks. I learned alot even in the first year I even got them.

Back
Top Bottom