Where do you get campine-pattern OEG bantams?

MizPookie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
I was admiring some pictures of gold campine patterned Old English Game banties on the web, but it doesn't look like anyone is selling them currently. Is this an approved OEG color, or is it experimental?

They are very pretty, and I would like to get some, whatever their 'official status'!

Quote:
i've never seen them at a breeder, only at a hatchery... i'm really not sure what the genetic make up or pattern they are... i also doubt it's an approved OEGB color...

Golden Campine is not a recognized color for oegb, and I am not aware of any breeders working on them. Ideal hatchery does offer them, but I dont know a thing about how they were made, quality, etc.....

GotGame,

I didn't know Ideal sold them. Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, they're sold out for this year.

I also see them available on DarkEggs.com, but I've never dealt with them. When I tried to add chicks to their ordering cart I was redirected to paypal, with the message, "This recipient is currently unable to receive money."
And the BBB doesn't give them a very good rating, so I guess that's a big red warning flag there. <sigh>

Maybe I'll get some next year from Ideal, if I can remember to order early enough!

Don't mean to sound so negative about it, but honestly, considering how poor of quality the color is on just about ALL Campines from hatcheries is, I highly doubt their own creation of a Campine colored OEGB would be much.

I'm sure there are some decently colored hatchery Campines out there but I've yet to see them. I've been on the search for a while and haven't found anything.

Quote:
I tend to agree with you there Illia...hatchery stock is not that good anyway, and a NEW color would be a lower quality than otherwise.

Since I don't show my birds, my question about the poor quality would be: are they recognizable as campine?

I don't have access to show standards, so and maybe the differene is in some subtle markings or something I would not normally notice, though I can recognize the campine pattern generally).

I was thinking about this recently, because I just bought some eggs from show quality OEG birds. I already have a pair of birds in the same color. I'm wondering whether I should put my hatchery pair in with the new ones (assuming I get chicks - always a bit of a crapshoot with shipped eggs, of course).

I realize the hatchery pair would likely be lesser quality, but they would add hybrid vigor. If I don't use my existing pair, all of the birds will be from the same flock and probably sort of related.

Also, I'm curious to find out whether I can see the quality difference when the chicks mature. I'm the kind of person who has a lot of wildflowers in my flower garden - maybe I will like the hatchery birds just as much as the show birds.

Quote:
I dont know the quality fo the birds you have, but you are unlikely to get anything from a hatchery that you could mistake for a show quality bird. The type and color will range from looking somewhat like the variety you order, to nothing whatsoever like them. If it was a variety that had been around for a long time and more or less 'perfected' you might get a few decent quality ones, but with something like golden campine, you likely wont end up with anything other than yard art. But if you are just wanting yard birds, they will likely fit the bill nicely.

Last edited:
I actually raised a pair of the Golden Campine pattern OEGBs for my Dad for Father's Day last year. I got them from Ideal since they are just pets to him. The pattern looks great, but they are too chunky to be truly called OEGBs.

If you're drawn to the campine-type color patterns you might really like the patterns on the gold brakel:

108-1.jpg

brakelhen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom