Where do you get your baby chicks from

• Breeder

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Hatchery

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
I don't keep accurate records, and have avoided these breed types for almost twenty years, so this is 'old news', based on 'old memories'.
As I recall, the hens made it out to two to four years, max. I was not happy with the nasty feather pecking behaviors of my production reds, so they left my farm early. The BOs and standard Brahmas were not our favorites, in spite of stellar reviews from others. Stand-offish, dumb, and died within two to three years of age.
I never had roosters of any of these breeds, so no experience there.
I do really like the bantam Brahmas, and have had both light and buffs. Nice birds, large for bantams. The roosters were very nice too.
It's fun to try many different breeds that look interesting, and who will do well in your climate, and then see what appeals to you! That's what we've done here, and come up with a shorter list of favorites.
Mary

I get my chicks from TSC. I have never had an issue with sick chicks or chicks that died. All very healthy. The only thing I had happen was 1 rooster who was not yet 1 year old died very suddenly in 36 hours. He was with all the others and no one else got sick so I believe it was specific to him/genetics. Other then that all my 23 beautiful hens and roos are healthy and thrive. I like TSC because I like to hand pick my chicks.. I want to see what I'm buying ;)

So you didn't buy direct from a hatchery. The second one was a private citizen buying day old chicks from hatcheries then reselling to the public? I'd avoid that one, who knows what they have floating around in their 'facilities'.

1. healthy stock that is vaccinated against Marecks' (it seems to have gone viral on Long Island where I live) that will live and be healthy for at least 5-6 years
Mareks is a virus ;) Vaccination does not protect them from all strains of the Mareks virus....and there's never a guarantee that a hen, of any breed - no matter the vaccines, will be healthy for 5-6 years.

Did you have Mareks in your flock, confirmed by lab testing?

On the other hand, buying from local folks (and I sell birds too!) can bring in diseases that never go away, like Marek's disease, or something like Mycoplasma gallisepticum, that requires flock depopulation to eliminate. I'd be incredibly careful about local birds; paranoia about biosecurity is a good thing!
I've really liked my birds from Cackle, and have about thirty of them this year! Many will move elsewhere (local sales!) but some are staying.
As aart said, having three, or six, or eight birds is hard, become some early deaths are going to happen, and with one of each breed, there's nobody to compare with. 'Chicken math' can be a very good thing!
Mary

I order from My Pet Chicken. All my babies came in healthy and gorgeous. I am going to start raising my own now. I just had one of my silkies hatch
20180625_093047.jpg
our first baby.

Trust me, if I could I would. The very close breeders only have silkies, polish and bantams. I'm not subjecting any of those to my big Berthas so shipping day olds is about my only choice, unless I wanted to hatch again and play rooster roulette lol! Giving away roosters isn't easy.:gig

agreed- we have a lot of silkie breeders in the area, I just love the large fowl. I gave away my first rooster a year ago and still think of him fondly.

Rooster Roulette- so true!

that is a good mix with a nice plan ahead of you. What has been your favorite breed that you have kept and why?
I don't really have a favorite breed, they are all individuals, and most mine have been crosses. The only pure breed I've had that I really liked was my Welsummer cock, he had a great demeanor. I loved the Light Brahma for their looks, but they can be bossy in the flock and the feed to egg ratio was way off for me.

Back
Top Bottom