Where do your ducks sleep?

Mine are still in a huge dog kennel on the deck. They put themselves to bed each night about 10 mins before it is dark out. I'm curious where they will go once we've built them a duck hut - will they run to the deck or quickly figure out their new home.

I have two cayuga ducks and 12 chickens that were raised together from the time they were 1 1/2 wks. old. Since day two of them being outside the ducks would go inside the coop with the chickens at night. They are the last ones in the coop at night however. I would guess that if you keep moving them inside if they are still out after dark for a few days that they would catch on to where "home" is and start to go on their own.

I have had ducks for 3 yrs now. Mine don't sleep at night or at least I've never saw them sleep- they seem to be more active at night. Mine roam around my fenced in yard as they please. I haven't had any problems at all with the ducks being free. They do have a crazy rooster that thinks they are his hens though- its kind of funny to watch him try to round them up.

I did have a problem with my chickens being free- hawks got after them - but they don't mess with the ducks.

14593_100_3708.jpg

Quote:
How often do you change the hay/straw in the coop?

Right now I change it once a week. But it is getting pretty messy! It might need it more often as they are getting bigger. (they are only teens).
big_smile.png

I built a night hut for mine to sleep in since their 12' x 24' pen is not coon proof. From day one, they go in it on their own when it gets dark.

I just go out and lock them up and let them out in the morning.

I made it out of recycled fence boards. I plan to build another one as the 8 ducks grow and pair off.

24846_ducks_aug_21_2010_003.jpg

24846_duck_shelter_aug_22_2010_003.jpg

Do the adult ducks need to have food and water when they are put in for the night? Right now our 6 2-3 week olds put go through a gallon of water a night (mostly to the bottom of their temporary home, but still) and eat quite a bit as well. Also how big of an enclosure/house do they need to sleep in?? They will free-range during the day on a 1 acre pond and as many acres of yard as they dare but we will put them up at night, pen and house.

I haven't made my outside coop yet so my ducks come inside my sunroom in a box I made for them which I keep very clean. I keep a little water feeder and food in one corner and a little tub full of water in the other side. Sometimes my ducks sleep in the little pool. Is that bad? Should I take it out?

Back
Top Bottom