where does everyone get there egg cartons

Quote:
I absolutely support recycling. Please don't take my post as saying that I don't. I am just suggesting that before selling eggs people should find out what their local health codes are. I personally am a believer that sometimes government gets way too involved in our lives. That said, my friend was told that in our county there is a $250 per offense fine for selling eggs in a recycled paper container because they can't be sanitized. She sells 4 dozen a week ... they'd have to be darned expensive to make it worth that fine! She told me she plans to buy washable cartons that her customers can "refill." She suggested that I purchase some of the same.

Truly, I wasn't meaning to offend anyone. I was only trying to encourage others to research their local laws before making a packaging decision for sale eggs.

It's really something I've never thought of. The health dept. I do know that I've bought eggs at our local farmers market in recycled cartons. I give eggs away and sell them in recycled cartons. I have washed them out and don't use soiled as I've stated. Of course your right and different states might have different rules. I suppose should check it out.

Wishing you the best

Rancher

Eggcartons.com!! They are great, and have great labels you can stick on the cartons. you can also buy blank labels and can print on them from your computer and printer. i dont know where the pics of mine are, but we are on our second order, this time green styrofoam. they are great, and the customers love them!

A.T. Hagan :

I order new cartons from www.eggboxes.com which had the best prices I could find for the type and amount of cartons that I wanted. I use those for my one store account. For direct personal sales I reuse styrofoam cartons because I can adequately clean and sanitize them. I only use unstained cardboard cartons for the eggs that I give away. Cardboard is difficult to sanitize. With recycled cartons you have no idea what they might be contaminated with so I prefer to sanitize them which cardboard is difficult to do with. Looks clean is not necessarily the same as IS clean unless you've got microscopes for eyes.

Same here. eggboxes.com​

Friends, family, and co-workers save them for me. I reuse cartons. I take all cartons that people want to give me. I look them over closely when I get home. Any that are stained or damaged go into the recycling bin. (It a rare that I find one needing recycling.) I don't say anything to people when they give them to me because I don't want to discourage them from saving them.

I sell eggs but I am not selling the to the "public" and I don't advertise. Most are sold to co-workers and a few are sold to friends. I have no need to advertise. I have much more demand for eggs from co-workers just by word of mouth than I can supply. Even when my additional 20 pullets start laying in Aug-Sep I will probably still have more demand than eggs. Just last Friday I had two people approach me wanting eggs but I had to decline their business.

I have no idea if we have any local codes about egg cartons. And it could be a little tricky for me if anyone started asking questions. I take most of the eggs over a state line. I live in one state and work in a different state. Hum..... I am not going to start asking anyone questions about codes. I have a feeling that there are a lot more codes such as storage temperature, Cleaning shells, how the eggs are handled, etc.

hello.
i get my egg cartons from family members! And my customers!
smile.png

Quote:
I absolutely support recycling. Please don't take my post as saying that I don't. I am just suggesting that before selling eggs people should find out what their local health codes are. I personally am a believer that sometimes government gets way too involved in our lives. That said, my friend was told that in our county there is a $250 per offense fine for selling eggs in a recycled paper container because they can't be sanitized. She sells 4 dozen a week ... they'd have to be darned expensive to make it worth that fine! She told me she plans to buy washable cartons that her customers can "refill." She suggested that I purchase some of the same.

Truly, I wasn't meaning to offend anyone. I was only trying to encourage others to research their local laws before making a packaging decision for sale eggs.

There is always a way around a stupid bylaw? If you put them into a bowl and have your customers put the eggs in there own packaging I'm sure they can't say anything about that(hence recycling). Use new ones for the strangers in your life
wink.png

Blessings,
Jeremy

Last edited:
I asked my DW if her co workers minded and she said no. They even save me some. Friends from church who buy don't seem to mind. Gotta be a nutter if you mind saving the landfill. Wasting useful rescources. Lord have mercy. I usually give more away than I sell. Some folks just aren't gonna have high paying jobs so a hand up here or there can't hurt.
I put a copy of the info from the new Grit in the carton on the nutritional value in the cartons and write "eggs for India" on top of the ones I sell. Can't wait til the EE's start laying and the Ameraucana. I do hope I get some nice "blue" eggs.

I reuse the cartons from people I know, such as family, neighbors, close friends or coworkers, but it hasn't been enough, so I bought a large number at eggcartons.com. It was a good deal, and cost less than the local feed stores. There was no shipping on the order size I purchased. They are very nice, recycled pulp cartons, and I chose the ones that only said Farm Fresh Eggs on top, so there would be no claim as to size of eggs or grade of eggs. What I have, after all, is backyard chickens---a mixed flock, and sometimes the eggs are bigger and sometimes smaller, in many colors.
I don't accept cartons from people I don't know, as I don't know how long they were stored, or the amount of dust, or pesticide, etc. exposure, and I do not want to contaminate my eggs or pass that on to anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom