where is the best location for a perch?

Saba2020

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
Hi All
I'm a newbie and a first time chicken owner.
Im not sure if I've placed the perch in the right place.
I've had a coop and run built for three chickens. I placed a tree branch above the coop. The chickens are using it but Im concerned about the following
a) they struggle to fly up to it
b) It isn't covered, and so they get wet when it rains. It doesn't seem to deter them. But I'm worried they might catch a chill. Am I being ridiculous?

I've also noticed that the Maran has greater difficulty flying up to it and ends up sleeping inside the nesting box.
I thought that perches should be set high up rather than low down

Solutions
1 Place a cover above the perch so that they don't get wet
2. Have some sort of climbing mechanism for them to get to it. They have stairs to get to the nesting box - should I have one built to get to the perch or should I place the perch elsewhere?

I would be grateful for some advice :)

Image below

06612D83-6331-4963-97A0-317A2B511260.JPG

Slightly confused on the layout, do you have a photo from further away so we can get a better look at your set up? And maybe a photo of inside of the coop as well.

Your "perch" (roost would be the better term) should be INSIDE the coop, so the chickens can sleep inside with better predator and weather protection. Not sure why you have it above the coop, what was the thought on that? Especially since the fencing/netting you have isn't going to be predator proof, it's very important that they have predator safe housing.

Definitely predator proof your roosting area. It won't take long for any number of predators to discover them - you might get lucky for a while - but at night chickens are pretty much helpless and are … sitting ducks. Chickens. You know.

I see you have some netting, which is good, but as many many folks have found out, chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in. Everyone else will chew through it like it's not even there and squeeze on through.

Hardware cloth or welded wire is a much better solution for their night-time sanctuary.

To solve the access problem - either build a ramp or put a couple steps (stumps, cinder blocks?) as half-way points.

This time of year the weather is friendly enough but they are going to need a dry place to sleep (so cover it AND predator proof it) - and they will also want a draft-free place to help them through the colder months. Draft free doesn't mean no ventilation - it means the ability to block the wind from blowing directly on the chickens in cold/wet weather.

Hope that helps and doesn't come across as critical - have read so many posts in the predator/pest section of this website and often times things aren't fixed up until the predator finds the birds.

Please please please read through some of the posts on this forum and make your plan based on the mistakes that have already been made. :D

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/predators-and-pests.13/

Definitely predator proof your roosting area. It won't take long for any number of predators to discover them - you might get lucky for a while - but at night chickens are pretty much helpless and are … sitting ducks. Chickens. You know.

I see you have some netting, which is good, but as many many folks have found out, chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in. Everyone else will chew through it like it's not even there and squeeze on through.

Hardware cloth or welded wire is a much better solution for their night-time sanctuary.

To solve the access problem - either build a ramp or put a couple steps (stumps, cinder blocks?) as half-way points.

This time of year the weather is friendly enough but they are going to need a dry place to sleep (so cover it AND predator proof it) - and they will also want a draft-free place to help them through the colder months. Draft free doesn't mean no ventilation - it means the ability to block the wind from blowing directly on the chickens in cold/wet weather.

Hope that helps and doesn't come across as critical - have read so many posts in the predator/pest section of this website and often times things aren't fixed up until the predator finds the birds.

Please please please read through some of the posts on this forum and make your plan based on the mistakes that have already been made. :D

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/predators-and-pests.13/
Oh dear, I felt it wasn't completely secure, but didn't realise that even Chicken wire is inadequate. I live in the Uk, and the the only predators we get here are foxes. I know they are about, although haven't seen any lately.

The coop is wedged in between two outhouses - so its safe from the sides. I've placed a concrete block at the front to stop potential foxes from burrowing in that way. There is a narrow alleyway behind the coop which may be a potential threat.
However, if foxes are prepared to chew through wire, I need to make it more secure.
I've asked a friend to help me secure it with a stronger wire... it is covered with fencing above too.
I'll also get it covered from above, so that they can't get wet during the summer rain.

I will be extending the coop into the adjoining outhouse before Winter, which means they will be safe and sound inside . But until then, I'll make the advised changes
Thanks for your swift reply. Very helpful.

Slightly confused on the layout, do you have a photo from further away so we can get a better look at your set up? And maybe a photo of inside of the coop as well.

Your "perch" (roost would be the better term) should be INSIDE the coop, so the chickens can sleep inside with better predator and weather protection. Not sure why you have it above the coop, what was the thought on that? Especially since the fencing/netting you have isn't going to be predator proof, it's very important that they have predator safe housing.

Thanks for your advice. I often get confused between a coop and nesting box. So the roost is inside an area that has wire all around ( and above) and sits above the nesting box/internal coop area. It isn't big or high enough to put a perch/roost inside it. I will take a photo tomorrow and send it t you. I've also replied to Shezadandy above with the set up and winter extension plans.
Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom