Where is the best place to live??

I left Wisconsin when I was 19. While it is beautiful and a gardener's dream, 19 years of -30 below winters was enough for me!

And don't get me started on the taxes and messed up farm policies in that state
tongue.png

Northeast Wisconsin.

Lots of rural living in the outlying towns, which is also much cheaper. The area has many small towns within comfortable commuting distance of the larger cities where there are more jobs (Green Bay, Appleton, Oshkosh, or Wausau and Stevens Point in central WI.) Pretty low crime (just stay away from Milwaukee.)
Good Midwestern values, too. Plus, four distinct seasons and varied topography (bluffs, prairies, lakes, forests) make it beautiful!
(No bias here.)
wink.png

Personnaly I've come to love Princeton, IL, with a town of 7,000, a great school district, and really nice pepole. Home values have not fallen in our area and I don't see much in the way of foreclosures.
Only problem is Illinois has the MOST corrupt bunch of politicians in the USA! Blagovich comes to mind. So scratch the thought!

hmm.png

Texas! I love Texas...and different parts of TX are good for different reasons. I live near Houston and the cost of living is great compared to most of the country, and there are plenty of jobs. Central TX (Austin area) is awesome and beautiful, but cost of living is a bit higher than here. Northeast TX is wooded and beautiful, I don't know much about the job situation there. Whatever you're looking for, you can find it here....umm, except snow...LOL. Actually no, I take that back, north Texas does get some snow, but it doesn't last too long.

Taxes depend on where you live. My folks pay much less on 26 acres in the Northwoods than we pay on an itty bitty city lot in Appleton. Since we've been in the housing market, I've looked at tons of homes and their taxes, and the outlying towns are much less than the "Fox Cities". Marion has great home prices (about 45 minutes north west) but too far for us to commute (Dh has home-based business.)

Farm policies can be changed when the right people are elected.

WI winters aren't really that bad? I've heard much worse coming from Alaska!
lol.png

WI winters aren't that bad?????????
ep.gif
We haven't had a freezing day yet this winter
big_smile.png
I mean, sometimes I wake up to frost in the morning...a little ice on my windshield, but once the sun comes up it all melts and we have a "cool" day in the 40's or 50's.

OK, I'm not trying to pick on WI...It's just that I'm a Texan and have never been in sub-0 weather...ever...and wouldn't have a clue what to do.

Oh, and by the way, our taxes are extremely low, especially if you live outside of the city limits. We have no state income tax.
big_smile.png
lol.png

Last edited:
I just wish I could ever have the hope that perhaps someday I could live in a rural area somewhere. I truly do miss it.

Yes, it's nice to have Costco less than 5 minutes away and a Wal-Mart/Home Depot within walking distance. I'm just sick of the city.

yes green acres is the place for me, farm living is the life for me, land spreading out so far and wide, take Milwaukee (or Phoenix), just give me that country side.

Back
Top Bottom