Where to get fertilized eggs?

Chickchick121

Songster
Dec 26, 2021
Where is the best place to get fertilized duck eggs?

Where is the best place to get baby ducks?

What breed would you start out with?

i started out with Muscovy mainly because I rescued them from our mountain river .This was in 2004 but after being on BYC for many years I fell in love with Runners and Buffs so in 2016 I got eggs and had my Muscovy hatch them for me. So now I have 3 breeds and love them all.
This might help you decide
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-breed-focus-project.1024526/

I started out 8 years ago with two ducklings from my local feed store. I had done my research and was told they were chocolate runners. They were Khaki Campbell’s but they were wonderful ducks. Since then I have had more Khakis and Khaki mixes, a Welsh Harlequin and Swedish ducks. They all were great. Currently, I have added Dutch Hookbills. They are my all time favorite. They have so much personality, they lay blue eggs, they are excellent bug catchers, and the drakes are not big jerks to the girls (my Khaki drakes were). One of the top breeders of Hookbills is in Birmingham, AL if you are interested in them. Usually eggs aren’t available until early spring (February).

I started out 8 years ago with two ducklings from my local feed store. I had done my research and was told they were chocolate runners. They were Khaki Campbell’s but they were wonderful ducks. Since then I have had more Khakis and Khaki mixes, a Welsh Harlequin and Swedish ducks. They all were great. Currently, I have added Dutch Hookbills. They are my all time favorite. They have so much personality, they lay blue eggs, they are excellent bug catchers, and the drakes are not big jerks to the girls (my Khaki drakes were). One of the top breeders of Hookbills is in Birmingham, AL if you are interested in them. Usually eggs aren’t available until early spring (February).
Thank you! I live in Birmingham and that is so helpful. Do you prefer getting fertilized eggs vs. Ducklings?

First time for me ordering ducklings from Metzers. They arrived from Tenn. and are 9 weeks old and are so adorable I truly rec them. These are Runners. My last time ordering from a hatchery[2019] I ordered 4 and lost 3 so I was not a fan of hatcheries until now.

Thank you! I live in Birmingham and that is so helpful. Do you prefer getting fertilized eggs vs. Ducklings?
I’m down in Mobile but have a farm right outside of Greenville Al. We’ve owned several different types of ducks but never Muscovys. Right now we have silver appleyard a drake and 5 hens and they have been the most laid back,calm,quietest ducks we’ve ever owned. I have 4 in the brooder right now we hatched from eggs they’re 2 weeks old and unless someone’s hiding their parts I believe they’re all females. The adults I believe came from Meyer hatchery. I order from them a good bit.

Back
Top Bottom