where to buy full grown layers

jk47

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
CA
I know most producers buy full grown hens so there most be a place to buy them for cheaper then a feed store or is it only for commercial farms and if you know a place let me know Im looking for red stars sorry if this is the wrong area to post this but replacing none layers with fresh layers is part of managing a flock

I know most producers buy full grown hens so there most be a place to buy them for cheaper then a feed store or is it only for commercial farms and if you know a place let me know Im looking for red stars sorry if this is the wrong area to post this but replacing none layers with fresh layers is part of managing a flock
I am an old commercial laying hen chicken farmer and I always raised replacement pullets from day old chicks until about 1975.

I have never seen a working poultry farm that did not raise their own replacement pullets. Believe me it is much cheaper than trucking in 100,000 skittish new pullets and dealing with all the issues that relocation brings on, like introduced diseases, stress, shipping fever, and broken bones.

Last edited:
It would help if we knew where you are located. I know in PA many use Moyer's in Quakertown. If you can pick them up they are reasonable. They only carry leghorns & Red Sex Link (Don't know what combo a Red Star is). Having to ship pullets is not cost effective, but can be done. They have a website.

If you really want laying hens, purchase from a local farm. "Local" can be 3-4 hours away from me, so don't look within a 5 mile radius. I purchase chicks and raise them to their laying stage, then sell them to other local farmers/backyard flocks. They're many people who do this and will be able to offer you a discount if you purchase more than 10 and if you are a return buyer will also give you another discount.

Back
Top Bottom