where to place feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by the simple life, May 13, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Does everyone keep feeders just inside the coop or outside as well in the run?

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Mine stay inside the coop

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine are inside of the coop.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Inside the coop and seperate from each other, using at least 2. If you have a chicken that is being kept from the feeder by a more dominant one you want her to have a place she can eat without harrassment.

5. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Mine are in the coop, in the covered run and outside the run.

Ellie

6. DaveMN

DaveMN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Moose Lake, Mn
    I keep mine in the coop. i did this for the guineas so that they would return each night when i put food into it. keeps all the little critters from getting free meals too.

7. the simple life

Some people mentioned that they prefer wall feeders but most of the ones I have seen do not have covers.The ones that do seem on the real small side.Any experience with this?

8. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    We have wall feeders inside the coop, and really like them for the ease in filling and also the floor space they save.

They are a little on the small side, so we have two for 23 birds. We probably fill them a couple times a week, but our chickens also get our table scraps, and free range part time.

They don't have covers, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. They're too narrow and close to the wall for the chickens to roost on. Our coop is pretty critter-tight, but even when the doors are open all day we don't seem to have much of an issue with anything but chickens getting to the food.

If you wanted covers for them, it probably would be an easy matter to cut a piece of plywood and hinge it to the wall to come down over them, but we haven't found a need for it yet.

9. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Mine are in the coops

10. the simple life

Thank you, that is helpful. I have a small coop right now while the larger one is being built but I plan on keeping both.I have the larger feeders for the big coop but I love the idea of the wall feeders, especially in the smaller house.I agree with the floor space.I am glad to hear that the covers aren't really a concern, the ones that I have looked at without the covers I really liked and I didn't want to have to buy something I am not crazy about just because of the cover. Now that I am thinking about it I will probably do the wall feeders in the larger coop as well, its always good to have 2 feeding areas anyway.See you learn something new here everyday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by