Wheres the eggs?

Mikefrydaddy

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2021
Helena, Arkansas
I have some blue Orpington mix chickens that I'm pretty sure are old enough to be laying but haven't found any eggs yet. The roosters have been crowing for some time now and have seen one mounting hens. I have nests with good straw off the ground next to their roost and even put a couple ceramic eggs in 2 boxes so they get the picture but still no eggs. No signs they are being eaten and no holes big enough to move them thru.
Any ideas?
Also what would you put in the pen to help entertain them or keep stress down?

I have some blue Orpington mix chickens that I'm pretty sure are old enough to be laying but haven't found any eggs yet. The roosters have been crowing for some time now and have seen one mounting hens. I have nests with good straw off the ground next to their roost and even put a couple ceramic eggs in 2 boxes so they get the picture but still no eggs. No signs they are being eaten and no holes big enough to move them thru.
Any ideas?
Also what would you put in the pen to help entertain them or keep stress down?
How old are they? Orpingtons are a heavy breed and normally take a while to lay. Roosters also start crowing a lot before hens start laying. And the mounting that happened, are you sure the pullet squatted? Or was it forcefully done by the cockerel? Well if she IS squatting then eggs will be here soon

How old are they? Orpingtons are a heavy breed and normally take a while to lay. Roosters also start crowing a lot before hens start laying. And the mounting that happened, are you sure the pullet squatted? Or was it forcefully done by the cockerel? Well if she IS squatting then eggs will be here soon
Honestly, I can't remember when I bought them as chicks but my neighbor has always had chickens and he thought they should have started laying about a month ago. I don't think they were squatted when rooster mounted. Here is a recent pic.

Attachments

• 20210827_184427.jpg
    20210827_184427.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 2
Here is a recent pic.
Need a photo(s) where we can see the pullets much more clearly, like their combs and wattles.

You have a number of roos at a glance, though it's hard to tell how many with the blurred photo. I see at least 3, maybe 4. Hormonal cockerels can be stressful for pullets to deal with, which could possibly impact laying. Do you have a plan for all those boys?

As far as "entertainment" chickens don't really do toys, but a good dust bath, some perches, objects they can climb on or run around, and things they can dig through (piled up dried leaves, straw) will all help keep them busy.

Cockerels mature faster than pullets, so just because the cockerels are mounting the pullets doesn't mean they are ready to lay eggs (or ready to be mated with, but they don't have much choice if they are not separated). Cockerels can be downright abusive to pullets due to surging hormones. A minimum number of hens to roosters would be 6 hens to 1 rooster, but some roosters are more active and require more hens to prevent the hens getting over mated.

My Orpingtons were 6 months old before they started to lay, so I'd say crosses would be a similar timeframe, maybe 5 months old. I've had an Orpington cockerel start to crow at 5 weeks old so crowing isn't a sign of maturity. They can start trying to mount pullets/hens from around 3 months old.

Pullets combs will grow considerably before they start to lay and deepen in colour to a bright red.

Need a photo(s) where we can see the pullets much more clearly, like their combs and wattles.

You have a number of roos at a glance, though it's hard to tell how many with the blurred photo. I see at least 3, maybe 4. Hormonal cockerels can be stressful for pullets to deal with, which could possibly impact laying. Do you have a plan for all those boys?

As far as "entertainment" chickens don't really do toys, but a good dust bath, some perches, objects they can climb on or run around, and things they can dig through (piled up dried leaves, straw) will all help keep them busy.
There are 3 roos and 7 hens. Had 4 roos but gave 1 to someone with all hens. I hope to eventually need the 3 I have left once I get more hens.

Cockerels mature faster than pullets, so just because the cockerels are mounting the pullets doesn't mean they are ready to lay eggs (or ready to be mated with, but they don't have much choice if they are not separated). Cockerels can be downright abusive to pullets due to surging hormones. A minimum number of hens to roosters would be 6 hens to 1 rooster, but some roosters are more active and require more hens to prevent the hens getting over mated.

My Orpingtons were 6 months old before they started to lay, so I'd say crosses would be a similar timeframe, maybe 5 months old. I've had an Orpington cockerel start to crow at 5 weeks old so crowing isn't a sign of maturity. They can start trying to mount pullets/hens from around 3 months old.

Pullets combs will grow considerably before they start to lay and deepen in colour to a bright red.
Thanks. I have 3 roos and 7 hens but plan to get more hens. These are the first I have had in over 40 years so I have forgotten a lot of these simple things. I will look at the combs closer. I think they are around 6 months old. I may have to separate another roo for now.

There are 3 roos and 7 hens. Had 4 roos but gave 1 to someone with all hens. I hope to eventually need the 3 I have left once I get more hens.
For only 7 pullets that is still two cockerels too many. One is more than enough and as far as future fertilization is concerned: even my rooster with 32 hens fertilized every single one of them ;)

I have 3 roos and 7 hens but plan to get more hens.
1 maybe too many for 7.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

As far as them not laying yet, here's some tips about how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

It may be too late in the season for pullets to start laying,
as the days are shortening exponentially.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Mikefrydaddy
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1632916290683.png

Back
Top Bottom