1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where's the weirdest place your hen ever laid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poseygrace, Nov 3, 2011.

1. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Sunday I was sitting with my girls having a quiet moment, and I noticed my SLW acting strange, like she wanted to lay but didn't know where. I watched her jump onto the top of the outside of the nest box, then onto the window-mounted A/C unit on the shed about 10 ft away. From there, she jumped onto the roof of the coop, about 8 ft up. But sister wasn't done yet! She jumped from there to the top of the shed, about 15 ft of the ground. So she was zig-zagging up the buildings! It's a pitched roof, so she went to the top, where a branch had fallen and leaves had collected. There she laid an egg! I had to get my hubby's 16 ft ladder to get it. She hasn't done it since. Crazy! I'd love to hear others. [​IMG]

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    In a feed barrel [​IMG] (had no feed though [​IMG] )

3. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Right on the sidewalk!

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    In a giant empty plastic flowerpot...[​IMG]

5. papinator

papinator Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Des Moines
    Mine are lame. They always lay in the next box. [​IMG]

6. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone laid two eggs in the doghouse (which is actually a cathouse, but that sounds sooo risque!)

7. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    I have one silkie hen that always lays an egg smack dab in the middle of the doorway to the chicken house. It's like she's sending me a message....."Don't miss MY egg."

8. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I have one girl who has decided the dust bath is her personal nesting box... so her eggs are the ones covered in dirt and fireplace ashes...lol

10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

In their wading pool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by