Which bator should I get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Christine21656, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Christine21656

Christine21656 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
    I have been looking at the Brinsea's... but I'm not sure. I don't want a styrofoam one... I want it to have enough windows that I can see them easily, easy to add water and keep the temp and humidity stable. I just hatched some chicks in a homemade bator, and now I am addicted [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] But only 2 hatched out of 7 [​IMG] So I have decided I NEED a different bator [​IMG]

2. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

I say try again with your homemade one. That is all I will ever use. You can check out my pages to see how we did ours. that blue one is the one from last year. in addition to that one we just finished 3 [​IMG] more. and we will be running them next week. feel free to PM me if you have ANY questions. I don't know what you all used in making your 'bator, but with mine and how I did the 'batoring we ended up with a very good hatch rate. Happy Hatching! [​IMG]

3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I love my Brinsea Eco with the auto turner. The great hatches and ease of use have made it worth the investment..... I now own two.

4. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    The genessis 1588 has a big window and keeps humidity very well temperature is not an issue since it has a preset electronic thermostat

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    A big one!!! I almost bought the Brinsea oct. 20 but found out it was not in stock. Had more time to think about it . I needed 25 pullets no roos for my new coop & the brinsea 20 only holds 24 eggs so I went with the Brinsea 40 DX it is pricey but a good machine holds 48 eggs. I'm sure theres other brands out there that are cheaper thats your call. Bigger is better in the chicken world thats what I've learned.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    My Brinsea 20 holds 20 eggs, if Im lucky. (more if bantams) I have one with the auto humidity pump and turner. I love mine. Cant say enough good things about them!

7. Christine21656

Christine21656 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
    I just ordered a Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO with turner [​IMG] Thanks!!!

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    why don't you build a better one...? i spent a bill and it holds and turns 60 eggs... at first i hatched 11 out of 40 eggs, but 15 were infertile and my fans and turner broke... [​IMG] but i just redid it and now it's flawless... incubating 54 eggs right now... wish me luck... but i still think you should make some sort of turner on your diy bator, or make it better... invest in a real temperature controller...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by