Which breed do you prefer?

chickenkeeper12

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
Connecticut
Hello. We are looking to expand our flock by at least 20. We are trying to figure out the breeds people think are good and the best breed of rooster to get. We already have a silkie rooster and we would like to get a rooster, but were not sure which breed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barred Rocks, Australorps, Sussex, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, They are all good! I have barred rocks and they are great, I would highly recommend them!
Good Luck!
frow.gif

We have Buff Orpingtons (broody), Silver Laced Wyandottes, Astrolorps, New Hampshire Reds, Columbian Wyandotte, Barred Rocks and Speckled Sussex. We like the Speckled Sussex the best. We have 3 of them. They are very affectionate and talk to us. They are also very good layers. The 'Buffs' are very broody (three out of the five) and 1 constantly escapes the run. We have no idea how! We call her Gertrude (from Gertrude McCluck) and say she is out of the run to solve crimes. We LOVE chickens!!
If we get more we will get Red Star because they lay extremely well and are cold tolerant.

Oh and I had a Barred Rock rooster as a kid that was meaner than anything. I hated that thing and my dad did too--I have funny memory of him squirting the rooster with a hose because he tried to attack my dad! But all roosters are different, even among the same breed.

When you say your orps are broody does that mean they don't want to give up their eggs?? We are thinking of getting 3 as our first chickens just for eggs, no rooster but dont want to have a problem with crabby girls.

What criteria are important to you in a hen? Good layer? Sweet? Dual purpose? Pretty? Hardy?

For roosters, I do not recommend the red star (red sex link) roosters. They are MEAN! I have had to put all 4 of mine down cuz they get testy and really went after kids. The hens are awesome though! Lay really well, don't freak when you get the eggs, curious as all get out, hardy (good for NH!).

Back
Top Bottom