Which breed do you think is the friendliest? My vote goes for BR's!

msgenie516

The Happy Hen
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Nesconset, LI, NY
Hi,

My pullets are maturing and I have breeds I have never had before. I have had EE's but never the BR's or the SLW's I now have. I have found the EE's to be "okay", but with deciding about the other two, I find the BR's win "by a mile". They are extremely outgoing and RUN to me when they see me coming. The others also come running but when I attempt to pet them, etc., they back away. The BR's just stay there and I can do anything with them. If I kneel down, they jump all over me and have already perched on my lap and sat down like they were going to take a nap! Even if they see my hand coming toward them, they are not discouraged. I LOVE them!
love.gif
Maybe it's just mine, but the SLW's seem kind of aloof.
hmm.png

I am starting to think about next spring when I may get a few more chicks. Not that I need them, but they are so addictive! I was wondering if anyone else has an opinion about the friendliest breed? Should I try another breed or just stick with the BR's?

Thanks for your help!
smile.png
Genie

Edited to add: I have Silkies that are also very friendly but I am only looking for large egg layers now.

Last edited:
The first group of BR that I got came from McMurray and they were just plain evil and mean and rehomed.

I now have a lovely BR that lays almost everyday that a patient of mine gave to me. She is wonderful, loves to be held and eats right out of my hand.

I must say though that the freindliest are my W/BW Ameraucanas that I got from Melissa's hatching eggs, (pasofinofarm). They just love to be held and have their muffs and beard tickled... and the three hatched in February are all laying now.

Now I've got to get them a BW roo so I can hatch out some beauties again.

Dominiques!!! Cackle Hatchery talked me into them......What little sweeties!! They are a dual purpose bird, so good egg production and meat birds (I couldn't eat them though). I have SLW and GLW also. Not on of the SLW will come running to be picked up and cuddled, and just one GLW, henny penny, will come for a cuddle. The doms just mug us! I vote for Doms!

BARRED ROCKS!I've had br'rir'and mixed the rir were sorta nice but the roosters were deamons.But the mixed were very sweet.But the barred rocks win by a land slide.
wee.gif

Orpingtons, definitely. They are lovely, friendly, beautiful, fluffy softies.

My BO will fall asleep on my lap, loves her crop to be tickled, will eat from the hand (even when broody), and talks to me in her lovely soft voice whenever I call to her. A real character.

Could it all be in the raising? I got my mixed flock as pullets early last summer and they ALL come running to me across the yard when they see me. I assumed it was because they know I sometimes bring them "treats" from the kitchen. They free range but always follow me into the coop because that's where they get feed and some corn, too. I think they were hand raised and are really laid back about humans. I have 4 red Sex Links whom the Amish had debeaked (yuck!), 3 BO, and 2 each of the Gold and Silver Lace Wyandottes. They all act the same towards me and have never been aggressive even when I "steal" the eggs right out from under one still sitting in a nest. I suspect that it is all a matter of "body language" just as it is with some of the other animals on the farm... cows, horses, sheep. I guess I am just a natural-born lead hen!!!
big_smile.png

Barred Rocks - I have two, they follow me endlessly around the yard, they let me pet them, etc. Only when they became adults, when they were small, they would run at the site of me.

I have a three way tie between my BRs, Delawares and BBS Ameraunas here. My black Ameraucana, Gypsy, would be content to be carried around in my arms half the day. She begs for it constantly and so does her mother, my older blue Ameraucana. My splash also chatters and does a little tap dance with her feet to ask for holding. Becca, one of my BRs, snuggles up to my DH and lays her head across his stomach and goes to sleep. So affectionate, these girls!

I have an assortment, and of course the individuals within the breed vary a lot in terms of their personalities, but my buff orpingtons and white cochins are by far the most docile, friendly, and willing to be handled. I would add, though, that these two breeds are also the most likely to be way out in the pasture by themselves, less alert to danger, and probably much more likely to be taken by predators if that is an issue - I'm afraid that is a direct tradeoff, so would keep that in mind if free ranging.

Well I would have to vote out of the 5 different kinds I have..my Isa Browns are the best..they are always curious and loved being petted. They just are a people chicken..lol My buffs are ok they dont go out of their way to be friendly. I would also have to say one of my EE's is friendly but she was a favorite and got extra holding..lol. I purposely didnt get barred rocks because we had some when I was a child and they were as mean as mean could be!

Back
Top Bottom