Which breed next?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by whudson, Aug 4, 2010.

1. whudson

whudson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    So far I have buff orpington, light brahma, and silkie.
    I'm looking to add more now and considering barred rock and wyandotte.
    Any suggestions?

And if you have a preference, is there a preferred hatchery as well?

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    From the breeds you have, it sounds like you like fluffy chickens. I think that you would like Wyandottes then, I ordered mine from Mypetchicken.com and they are very healthy and look great!

3. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    Barred rocks. I have BRs, BOs and 2 white Silkies.

Jen

4. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    COCHINS [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    which of the the 3 breeds that you own is your favorite and why?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  6. Sew the Farmers Wife

Sew the Farmers Wife Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Palmyra
    My personal favs after my buff orps. are my golden comets. Just wonderful chickens, and I have heard great layers, but mine are not laying yet [​IMG] only 16 weeks old...

Could do with out the Americaunas.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't have wyandotte's, but I've heard they are more independent. Not cuddlers so to speak. They also can frequently go broody. That may or may not be something you want. (Of course you already have the most broody breed - silkies)

I do have 1 Barred Rock, and she's not a cuddly type chicken either (which is not a problem for me), but she lays very large eggs for me. She's definitely a talker, and I always feel like she's chewing me out for something, which makes me laugh. She's big and poofy, but for some reason my mother is afraid of her. (afraid of a chicken, sheesh! [​IMG] )

Bottom line: What are you looking for? Lot's of eggs? Colorful eggs? If you want a variety of egg colors, then I suggest Easter Eggers (sold as Americauna by hatcheries), Welsummers or Marans.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Agreed with above post. I have a barred rock who is great, she is friendly and occasionally will jump in my lap to talk to me. I also have two Wyandottes, one is pretty stand offish except during treat time, and the other is VERY sweet and loves to snuggle in my hands. I also have an Easter Egger who is real real sweet too, and I am hoping for some colored eggs [​IMG]

Barred Rocks are also GREAT winter layers, mine laid quite well through snowstorms and stuff [​IMG]

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    for pets I say barred rocks mine are so tame even the boys always on my lap. I am going for color, variety. and performance. I have 2 RIR 6 PR the barred rocks I BA and coming soon 2 dominiques 2 SLW 2 naked necks 2 BO 2 Americanuas. I really want some white color like Delawares but hubby says enough for now

10. whudson

whudson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Well, i was going to get the barred rocks and then I got to looking at the wyandottes. I may get both or I may get something different.

I'm wanting something pretty to look at, a good layer, and a standard size.

My favorite rooster is the buff orp. He's gentile and beautiful.
    The hens are docile and great layers, but I don't think they're that pretty.

I love the silkies, but I don't want any more bantams.

I'm keeping the breeds I have, I just want to expand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by