Which brooder option would be better?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I have 2 different options for a brooder this year. 1st is a wooden sort of box with no top or bottom. That's what I used last year for a couple months. I moved it outside when they got older.
IMG_20210425_134313.jpg

IMG_20210610_091921.jpg

2nd option is a dog play pen that my friend is giving to me. It's not exactly like in the pictures, but similar.
4b92ae6a-df38-4fc6-b677-a19ecb9865d2.41bf410f4de59261e4dafda4113345db.jpeg

81WPyemFCBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The heater I use is a heat plate.
I also have a question about bedding. Newspaper or wood shavings? Maybe Newspaper for the first couple days and then switch to shavings? My first batch of chicks will hatch next weekend and the second a week later.

Last edited:
I have 2 different options for a broader this year. 1st is a wooden sort of box with no top or bottom. That's what I used last year for a couple months. I moved it outside when they got older.
View attachment 3066365
View attachment 3066366

2nd option is a dog play pen that my friend is giving to me. It's not exactly like in the pictures, but similar.
View attachment 3066367
View attachment 3066368

I also have a question about bedding. Newspaper or wood shavings? Maybe Newspaper for the first couple days and then switch to shavings? My first batch of chicks will hatch next weekend and the second a week later.
I would use second and if you font like it switch to what you know or you will know for next year which you prefer

How many chicks? Where will you broid them?

I think they're both good depending on the answers to those questions. If indoors, the second will do nicely to contain dust. But it won't protect from pets or inquisitive kids.

The first offers more protection and excellent ventilation, so I would think it would be good for in the coop.

My two cents.
🙂

How many chicks? Where will you broid them?

I think they're both good depending on the answers to those questions. If indoors, the second will do nicely to contain dust. But it won't protect from pets or inquisitive kids.

The first offers more protection and excellent ventilation, so I would think it would be good for in the coop.

My two cents.
🙂
Around 20 chicks this year. I plan on keeping them in the garage until I can move them outside. There usually aren't any other pets in there, but we sometimes accidentally trap one of our cats in there. And what about the newspaper or wood shavings? Would the shavings make it hard to walk for little chicks?

Large flake shavings would be ok, or puppy pads, or paper towels, etc.
These are the shavings that I have. Would they be alright?
This is a picture of the ones I have in my coop.

Attachments

• 20220306_151740.jpg
    20220306_151740.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220227_125428.jpg
    20220227_125428.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 1
These are the shavings that I have. Would they be alright?
This is a picture of the ones I have in my coop.
For chicks I like coarser ones. I find that aspen shavings tend to be larger than pine shavings, if you can source some of that. Pet stores often carry them, and you can see the difference in flake size inside the bag.

If not, plenty of folks raise chicks on smaller pine flakes without issue, so bedding ingestion is not a common problem, but it's just an extra thing to monitor.

I have 2 different options for a brooder this year. 1st is a wooden sort of box with no top or bottom. That's what I used last year for a couple months. I moved it outside when they got older.
View attachment 3066365
View attachment 3066366

View attachment 3066367
View attachment 3066368

I use the tent with both options on the heat plate horizontal and vertical, they seem to enjoy both in different ways. Pine shavings, cheap jar drinker atop a upside down terra cotta plate to keep cleaner, found a 18” chick feeder a bit larger for 14 chicks in the tent, but works for free, I built a 6 rung perch around 5 1/2” high, with 10 escape holes, they love it. I used the grass mat from the shipping box in in the tent to comfort them when I transferred them from the shipping box. I received them 5 days ago, had to clean a few butts, but all healthy and happy now, being naughty chicks. The tent was super easy to clean. This is my first flock so I hope this helps, seems to work great so far.

For chicks I like coarser ones. I find that aspen shavings tend to be larger than pine shavings, if you can source some of that. Pet stores often carry them, and you can see the difference in flake size inside the bag.

If not, plenty of folks raise chicks on smaller pine flakes without issue, so bedding ingestion is not a common problem, but it's just an extra thing to monitor.
Could I use paper towels or puppy pads for the first week and then switch to shavings? I don't know it just seems like the chicks would have a harder time getting around on shavings from day one. Or is that not necessary?

Could I use paper towels or puppy pads for the first week and then switch to shavings? I don't know it just seems like the chicks would have a harder time getting around on shavings from day one. Or is that not necessary?
You can do it either way. I don't know if one is more "optimal" than the other.

I have chicks directly on the run floor (deep litter) from the start, however I brood outdoors so a much different situation than an indoor brooder set up.

Back
Top Bottom