Which BYC member scares you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I just need another coffee but I don't get it. What's the joke?
EF7B35F0-66C4-4FFB-97CD-9563207720AD.png

@sdm111
Yes, I missed my chance for Thanksgiving gumbo, but leftover turkey works great. As do rotisserie chickens (leftovers or purpose bought).

Please add:
after boiling the chicken, separate the schmaltz and use for roux or save to cook vegies in.

Stirring with a flat pancake turner will scrape the bottom and minimize burning.

Slowly add the flour to the oil to incorporate. You want a playdough consistency when done. If too stiff, add a touch of oil. If too liquid, wait a moment to see if it changes. Add flour if it doesn't.

Cast iron dutch oven works better due to heat distribution. A thin stainless pot is harder to not burn. Flat bottomed pots are a must, the ones with the ridge will burn.

If you don't like the (delicious) layer of fat floating on top, cook and separate the grease from the sausage. This can also be used to make a nice roux providing it was pig sausage. Deer sausage can be too lean. Beef tallow has a different flavor, use what you like.

Gumbo is used as a clean the refrigerator meal. Add what you got. There is no wrong way. But I've seen a couple of gumbos that I wasn't impressed with.

Bon Appetit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom