Which chickens fly more?

A lot of common breeds can actually fly better than most of think they can. Fortunately, can can't fly as well as THEY think they can. My hatchery RIRs liked to try, and when I open the cleaning door to the coop in the morning they will often fly from the top roost (about head high) out into the run about 20ft or so.

I picked up a young pair of Blue Cochins this weekend. Since the hen spent most of her time with way to many roosters around, she was immediately looking for a way out. From a 2 foot high perch in the run she nearly made it over a 6 ft section of fence that was 10 ft away. She would have gotten over eventually if I hadn't been there cuz she did manage to perch herself on top of the chicken wire. Being a LF Cochin, even a younger one (about 7 months), she is the last I would have expected to fly that well.

When I first got into chickens last year, the breed I really wanted, and still do, but don't really have the setup for, were Cubalayas. There is a thread under the Breeds, genetics, and showing heading about them. These guys tell plenty of tales about their birds easily out flying all of the game birds and leghorns they have ever seen. This isn't from personally experience, just from reading up on them through several people who have them.

Ken

My four Australorps can reach almost 2 feet, if they have a good tailwind, and then they can't fly straight.

Back
Top Bottom