Which combination of colors silkies can I combine

Thijs

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
My USA Silkies are now about 3 to 4 months old and starting to look really nice.

I currently have these hens: 2*blue, 2* splash, 1* black
and these roosters: 2 * blue,1* blue showgirl, 1*black, 1*splash (not sure if the showgirl is a rooster but looking ai its size compared to the other birds, probably is a rooster)

Keeping a blue rooster would give me in any case the 3 colors of chicks.
The blue showgirl (if it is indeed rooster) will give me (too) much showgirl chicks (50%) so I am doubting to keep it.

some questions:
1) what hen colors could I add to get a nice variety of 'pure' colors . I know buff is out of the question. But would any other color give me more variety?
2) How many roosters could I have together in the same group of 7 or 8 female birds? If they matured together, would they not keep the peace?
3) Which rooster(s) is (are) the most intresting to keep? I'm guessing blue?
4)Probably worth a seperate topic but I am trying to figure out if I should find a rooster that has a gene which would give me the possibility to see which chicks are male or female by the color genes. I think it should be possible with the cuckoo color. I am trying to figure out with this calculator: https://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm .

Strangely: a cuckoo rooster with a blue hen gives another result than the reverse combination blue rooster with cuckoo hen (this last combination would give all the rooster chicks cuckoo a pattern).

bbs-chart.jpg
@MysteryChicken gave this to me but they can help you better than i can!

A black rooster won't give you any splash offspring and a splash roaster won't give you any black offspring so I'd stick with a blue if you want all three colours. Of those I'd just pick the best shape and temperament. Yes you can add cuckoo if you can find it but it will only be sex linked if you use a cuckoo hen rather than rooster as @Floof has said.

Back
Top Bottom