Which hatchery?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ncCHICKS, Nov 29, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am really wanting to get some baby chicks. I don't want to hatch from eggs, as I haven't even raised chicks yet. I got mine at 5 weeks. I'm not picky as to which breed, but I don't want to order 25 birds or wait until spring. Is there any way around this. I was thinking I'd have to get them from a local farm or something.

2. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm not sure if you will be able to order smaller quantities right now, because of the cold. But, I think there are some hatcheries that will also sell a warmer that fits in the shiping box so they may allow smaller orders.
    Personally, I am not ordering till spring because of all the holiday mail and chance of the order being delayed and also because of the cold.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    most of the hatcheries are done selling for the year and wont be hatching and shipping til spring.

Ideal has "some" breeds left for this year. But I agree, we are waiting til spring here to get more chicks. With the holidays and the colder weather. I am not taking a chance with little lives on the line

4. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Try going to Mypetchicken.com. They will let you buy as few as 3. I ordered 3 this year and they shipped 4. They have a pretty good selection and even have a selection tool that will show you breed based on a couple of criteria you set. Would recommend them to anyone. However, they won't ship again until February.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  5. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    There is a local hatchery in Holly springs NC were I get my chicks from.
    Give Roy a call and ask him if he has baby chicks.
    He is a small hatchery and has good chickens and eggs. [​IMG]

http://www.sumner-byrdfarm.com/

Jean in Zebulon NC Raleigh area on craigslist has still some chicks , birds. You can call her and ask. I bought ducks and chicks from her as well. They are healthy and doing well.
    I hope this is helpfull.
    Goodluck [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I like to buy local chicks because most of the time you can pick out the chicks you want and just buy a few. [​IMG]

6. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  7. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:I only wanted a few,but My Pet Chicken's wouldn't ship til next year.
    I ordered 26 RIR's from Welp. All are very healthy. I gave 9 to one neighbor and 7 to another,which leaves me with ten.I'm so hooked ,however,I'm sure I'll be ordering many more.
    If you want some now try to find others who are also interested.My babies just turned 3 weeks and are doing great!

8. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Ideal has popular layers available at least through December: RIRs, Australorps, Barred Rocks, Leghorns, Sexlinks and the like. The catch is that you have to order at least $25 worth of chicks which works out to around 10 -15 chicks, depending on the breed.

9. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I just got a shipment in today from Ideal but it was due last Wed.
    I have looked around the sites for more chicks but can't find a hatchery still doing anything. I am not sure but I do not believe they will start up again till Feb or March.
    I wish now I had ordered more chicks. I only have 45 little ones to play with and none of my hens are setting on eggs anymore. If I had known someone else wanted chicks I would have placed a bigger order.
    I will be ordering a big batch again in March though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by