Which Hatchery?

My first chicks (7 Easter Eggers) came from Murray McMurray, and perhaps we just got a bad batch (they were 5 week old pullets), but we’ve already lost 2 and have a 3rd with ongoing health problems. My brother ordered 5 EE’s (day-old chicks) from Cackle and they are far more hardy, and pretty. It may be a fluke, as I’m sure they’re both good hatcheries, but I’ve decided to get 6 day-old (3 EE and 3 olive egger) chicks from Cackle this year. In fact, they are scheduled to hatch one week from today! I honestly don’t think you can go wrong. Good luck!
Edit: they were all born last spring!

Where are you located? Are you close to one of them?
I've only gotten chicks from Cackle, Freedom Ranger and Sandhill Preservation hatcheries.
All my other birds came from individual breeders.
The hatcheries you've mentioned are all reputable enterprises so I'd choose the one that has the breeds you want.

I've only used McMurray, so I really don't have a point of reference, but everything went fine, chicks showed up healthy, and haven't had any issues since.

Being an if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it kind of guy, I would probably use them again, unless there was something specific I wanted that they didn't have.

My first chicks came from a local breeder, two years ago. I have already placed my order for April chicks from Meyer Hatchery. I was going to order from McMurray, but they didn’t offer all the breeds I wanted so I chose Meyer.
meyerhatchery.com

Cackle is really good. I ordered from them 3 years ago, and again this year after trying different hatcheries, cackle has definitely been my most favored experience. Oh just a word of warning, one of the hatcheries I tried other than cackle was welp. I had a bad experience with them, they never told me that they shipped my chicks, so I had no idea when to expect them. And within two weeks of arriving, over half of the chicks died! (Of course all of them were after the DOA had expired.) Have a great afternoon and God Bless!

Last edited:
I chose Cackle to get mine as we can drive there. We went 2 weeks ago. I am very impressed with them and the variety of breeds they offer. But I haven't tried the others you mentioned. Cackle has a multitude of videos online showing their operation, and all the how to's etc.

Back
Top Bottom