Which Hatchery's Marans Lay the Darkest Eggs?

Im not sure, but I have French black tailed red marans coming from crackle this April.
I’m hoping for dark brown. Really any shade darker then my black sex links and I’ll be happy. I’m interested to see what others have to say.

Edited to add: The reason I picked the reds is because going off the pictures they show on their site the red appear to lay the darkest eggs. If that’s true or not I don’t know. But the eggs they show the chicks hatched from are very dark.
Hi how dark did your French black tail red Marans eggs end up? I just purchased some of these chicks from cackle so I am very curious if they are on the 6-9 dark scale as advertised by cackle. 🙂

Hi how dark did your French black tail red Marans eggs end up? I just purchased some of these chicks from cackle so I am very curious if they are on the 6-9 dark scale as advertised by cackle. 🙂
Hey, I’m just hopping on after not being around for a while. It is funny you asked, because I just got my first marans egg yesterday! 😁
I’m not sure exactly where it rates on their scale, but it is dark.
This is the egg
9E15E61E-E126-464C-997F-1B67D95302D9.png

And here it is with four other brown eggs of various shades. I was honestly worried the top right egg was from one of my marans girls because it is darker then most of my other browns, but now I’m thinking it was from a black sex-link.
F3180B0F-720C-4FA3-8167-CDEBA4641C01.png

I’m still waiting on two other marans girls to start laying so hopefully their eggs will be just as dark if not darker. So far I’m incredibly pleased with my girls.

Hey, I’m just hopping on after not being around for a while. It is funny you asked, because I just got my first marans egg yesterday! 😁
This is the egg
View attachment 3014395
And here it is with four other brown eggs of various shades. I was honestly worried the top right egg was from one of my marans girls because it is darker then most of my other browns, but now I’m thinking it was from a black sex-link.
View attachment 3014398
I’m still waiting on two other marans girls to start laying so hopefully their eggs will be just as dark if not darker. So far I’m incredibly pleased with my girls.
Beautiful! Thanks for the update!

I realize that the very darkest eggs are laid by breeder birds from a line they've been working on. But,

Which hatchery's Marans lay the darkest eggs?

I'm primarily looking at ordering from Welp, Ideal, or Cackle (with an option on birds from a farm store). I'm going to get Cuckoo or Black Marans because I don't want any red in my flock from the Black-Coppers and because DH wanted me to add some barred birds because he likes them and would prefer the French kind with the feathered feet.

So, understanding that "darkest" will be a relative term, what is your experience with Marans from different hatcheries?

(Apologies if this should have been in the breeds or hatcheries section. I figured that egg color was an "Egglaying" topic.

This is the egg
View attachment 3014395
View attachment 3014398
Hey y"all! I will be getting some French BTRM chicks from Cackle next week. Now I can't wait until they start laying. That egg is beautiful!

Is the shell tint and darkness a function of age and environment?

Is the shell tint and darkness a function of age and environment?
This particular breed lays that color egg. I have read that age, vitamin intake can influence maintaining the color but breeding/breed is a big part from my understanding.

Gorgeous! I can’t wait until mine lay! I receive this week. What do your adults look like?
I don’t have any pictures on hand, but can take some later today:)
Please post pictures of your little ones when they come😊
I can never get enough of seeing baby chicks. Haha.

Oh, and one thing I do want to mention… One of my girls had fused toes on both feet when I got her. Sounds awful, but was very easily fixed and healed up really well. From what I read at the time it sounded like it was something this breed can be prone to. So just be sure to check their little feet when they arrive:)

Back
Top Bottom