Which is bigger - Wyandottes or Barred Rock

EmberRiver

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2023
Last year, I picked up 6 chicks - 3 Australorps and 3 Light Brahmas. They were all supposed to be females, but one of the Brahmas ended up a rooster.

While I'm thrilled to have him, I hadn't planned for him (by the time we knew he was a rooster, there were no more chicks to be had locally). The 3 Australorps are way too small for him (and too quick, too), which leaves only 2 poor hens. One of them has started losing her feathers in the middle of her back (I have treated the area and just got a saddle to try on her).

The local hatchery is selling chicks this spring - but not Brahmas. I want to get hens that are similar in size so they can withstand the size of our Brahma rooster. I've done some online research, but the different websites vary in their size descriptions.

I need to know which type of hen tends to be bigger - Black Lace Silver Wyandottes or Barred Rocks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...this is our first time with chickens, and I want them to live long, healthy, and happy lives. I can't stand the thought of getting rid of our rooster, but it hurts to see the hens suffering.

It depends on the stock, which doesn't help you much but it's honestly what it come down to.
Are you opposed to ordering some queen sized ladies for him?
I was in the exact same boat, a surprise brahma boy who was a sweet
Heart but was squashing his hens.
I had both barred rocks and wyandottes and he dwarfed both of them. I couldn't tell you the actual size of them all. I was going to order home done brahma girls but I lost him before that happened.
The white bird is a wyandotte.
20210601_110039.jpg

Last edited:
Last year, I picked up 6 chicks - 3 Australorps and 3 Light Brahmas. They were all supposed to be females, but one of the Brahmas ended up a rooster.

While I'm thrilled to have him, I hadn't planned for him (by the time we knew he was a rooster, there were no more chicks to be had locally). The 3 Australorps are way too small for him (and too quick, too), which leaves only 2 poor hens. One of them has started losing her feathers in the middle of her back (I have treated the area and just got a saddle to try on her).

The local hatchery is selling chicks this spring - but not Brahmas. I want to get hens that are similar in size so they can withstand the size of our Brahma rooster. I've done some online research, but the different websites vary in their size descriptions.

I need to know which type of hen tends to be bigger - Black Lace Silver Wyandottes or Barred Rocks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...this is our first time with chickens, and I want them to live long, healthy, and happy lives. I can't stand the thought of getting rid of our rooster, but it hurts to see the hens suffering.
Could I make a suggestion to order some Brahmas, Jersey Giants, or Bielefelders? They would fit him quite nicely.

It depends on the stock, which doesn't help you much but it's honestly what it come down to.
Are you opposed to ordering some queen sized ladies for him?
I was in the exact same boat, a surprise brahma boy who was a sweet
Heart but was squashing his hens.
I had both barred rocks and wyandottes and he dwarfed both of them. I couldn't tell you the actual size of them all. I was going to order home done brahma girls but I lost him before that happened.
The white bird is a wyandotte.
View attachment 3391309
I'm not at all opposed to getting larger ladies - that's what I'm hoping for, actually. I just can't get any locally (I've looked at mail-order chicks to get more Brahmas, but it's just not feasible - I live in Alaska), and the local places are only selling smaller breeds. After a LOT of research, the Wyandottes and Barred Rocks looked like the biggest of those offered, but it's still not an obvious choice.

Your boy was gorgeous, btw.

Could I make a suggestion to order some Brahmas, Jersey Giants, or Bielefelders? They would fit him quite nicely.
I've looked at mail-order chicks to get more Brahmas, but it's just not feasible - I live in Alaska. I'd be paying about $100 for just 3 chicks - and no guarantee that they'd make it up here alive. And my first thought is always, "Well, what happens if one of THOSE ends up being a rooster?"

If you have a local seller, stands to reason there are neighbors somewhere with chickens, if you don't have the right kind of fertile eggs, maybe someone else might. She may even be able to lend you a broody or hatch them for you.

Back
Top Bottom