Which kidnapping case freaks you out the most?

Zinnia-Hen

Live & Let Live
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
I dunno about you, but for some reason the abduction of 8 year-old Eloise Worledge in Australia during 1976 freaks me out the most. I mean, some freaky guy cut open the flyscreen of her window and climbed in and then sped away. No trace of her was ever found. It makes me never want to open my window when I sleep... O__O

This sounds like a strange question, I know. But it's all really interesting to me.

Last edited:
Strange question, but I guess the Jaycee Lee Dugard case has always baffled me. Makes me wonder how many other kidnapped children are being held for many years when most suspect them to be dead.

The case of Eloise probably touched me the most too. I was the same age as her living not far from her when it happened so it really made an impression.

I think the thing that scares people is the idea of lack of control over what happens. A crime that seems more random, more unpredictable, more just a sudden impulse of some disordered person, is more feared, especially if it happens in their home, which is supposed to be their castle. They're safe there, nothing should go wrong there.

If a person is outside their home, then people can kind of say, 'oh, well, they shouldn't have gone to that place'.

The thing people fear the most is the randomness of events - the 'non-deservedness' of events.

We have long experience with religions and cultures in which the victim is blamed for whatever befalls them. They have sinned previously - in this or another life, and this is punishment. Or they were ignorant, or didn't respect their elder's warnings. So they are harmed because of some action of their own.

In the same way, people react to news of a disability or disease as if they had some control over it happening - they will blame it on some event that clearly can't have anything to do with it.

WHY? Because people love having the illusion of control - that comfortable idea that if you do A, B happens.

The trouble with these strong emotional reactions, is that generally, people are actually far more likely to be a victim of a crime close to home - at the hands of someone they know rather well. This is true of crimes against children as well. They are usually committed by relatives, friends and spouses.

What happens is, people actually guard against the types of crimes they are MOST UNLIKELY to become victims of. It's ironic, but sad. People actually leave themselves open to much more likely crimes, by guarding against things that are exceedingly unlikely.

People should have bars or security screens on any windows that are easily accessed from the ground level, in any area - rural or city.

In a number of cases, residents in the house have turned out to be responsible for crimes against children. The area is often staged to make it appear that a breakin occured.

So without having read the Australian case, I still can say that whatever did happen there, we're wise to take steps against the crimes most likely to affect us, not the least likely. Of course families who have experienced acrimonious divorces or have spouses or other relatives who feel they were wronged at the parent's hand, need to be extra careful.

The "abduction" of Maddie Mccain. Despite the fact that they used free daycare for their children, they claim they didn't use the £10 per hour evening child care because they didn't want to leave their children with strangers. So they left 3 children under the age of 4 alone in a unlocked appartment even after two of them admitted to crying because they had been left. The morning after she went missing her father went for a tennis lession. When they where asked why they published the information about their little girl's eye condition a fact that if kept secret would have been a way to positively identify her, her father said that it was in marketing terms a good ploy have a look here

http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t1...se-that-the-british-media-are-not-telling-you

This is really weird

34. Kate McCann clutched ‘Cuddle Cat’ in front of TV cameras, claiming it reminded her of Madeleine, and was ‘comforting’. Yet shortly before the sniffer dogs arrived, she washed Cuddle Cat, claiming it ‘smelled of sun tan lotion’. This would make forensic analysis of it much harder.

By the way, to the original poster: The screen in the Worledge home was cut from the inside.

Also, the brother reported the girl missing, saying he had heard and seen burglars in the home, and hidden because he was afraid they would harm him.

There was no sign of a struggle in the home or anything missing, but a car was seen speeding down the street away from the home, about that time.

From the facts of the case, it would seem that the brother arranged for someone to come and take the girl, perhaps in return for some money. The child was never found, despite large (for that time) rewards and a very extensive search.

In other words, this case appears to have been how many child crime cases are - someone within the family, who lives at the house.

It is not necessary to have a body to prosecute a murder case, but evidently there was not enough evidence to charge the brother.

I feel quite confident that if this case happened today, better technology would help prove who did it. The case was re-opened in 2001, but nothing came of it.

Last edited:
Jessica Lundsford, stolen from her bed. Kept several days by sex offender and then buried alive. The sex offender was staying next door to the victim.

Summer Thompson, walked ahead of several children while walking home and vanished. Found murdered.

Sandra Cantu, was drugged, sexually assaulted and murdered by a Sunday school teacher friend of the family. This perpatrator was a woman.

So... so... so many.
hit.gif

Aye, I was going to say that the creepiest cases to me are where it turns out a family member killed the kids/spouse, but made a big, tearful show on the news about "helping them find" whatever family member. More so when they allow other people to come under scrutiny for the crime or report people falsely.

I think for me here in Australia. The Daniel Morcombe case is one of the worst. He left his home at age 13 to go catch a bus on a busy highway to get christmas presents. The first bus driver didn't stop as his bus was full or something like that. He was seen talking to a man and then vanished. No one has come forward with any helpful information and i think now it has been like 9 years. I feel so for his poor family and his twin brother. I find it hard to believe on a highway that busy no one saw anything much. There have been reports of cars seen near where he was taken but no useful information has come forward.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morcombe

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom