Which one should I keep?

Nigellas

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I raised too many chicks and have a new home arranged for the ones I don't decide to keep - I just need to decide which ones should stay. I already have 2 adult Marans and 2 Javas. One of my Javas is just finishing up a batch of adopted Orpington chicks she raised (3 roos, ugh) so she's not laying, and my other girls aren't crazy heavy layers. Between the 3 laying, sometimes I get 2 eggs, sometimes 1, sometimes none - today I got 3, but that is rare. I've been having to supplement with store eggs. So egg production is an issue, but maybe it won't be one the other Java is back on her game and the other two I decide on start laying.

I can only keep two more based on my coop size (expansion is not an option this summer) I've already decided for sure on an Easter Egger I've grown attached too. The other ones I can't decide... I could pick from an Australorp, a Black Sex Link, a Red Sex Link or a New Hampshire Red.

I like the personality of the NHR and the BSL best, but from what I've read, NHRs aren't super awesome layers. The BSL would be a good egg layer, but to be honest, next to the rest of my flock, I think she's kind of homely looking, lol. The Red Sex links don't do anything for me at all - Personality or looks, so probably not them. I also have an Australorp, who is pretty, would be a good layer, but seems kind of flighty - my adult Marans are SUPER flighty to the point of annoyance, so I'm a little less exited about adding to that mood in my flock.

SO... Who would you pick?

smile.png

My 2 sex links are my best layers and I like their personalities. The only broody I have had from my flock is my red sex link (go figure).

I have both an Australorp and a NHR. Both are very friendly, but became even more so after they started to lay. I would vote for the Australorp, though my NHR is a good layer. My daughter likes the NHR best. Our new hampshire is queen of the coop of 11 hens. She is not at all aggressive. The Australorp is more fun to watch - she's quick and steals snacks from the other birds so quickly that they have no clue what happened.

I am going to vote for the Australorp too. I have two black hens and they are very laid back and easy to get a long with. Sorry to hear your egg production isn't too good, we have 9 hens currently and get anywhere from 6 to 8 eggs a day, have had my original flock for 9 months now and haven't gotten store bought eggs since. We even sell to 3 neighbors as my family just can't eat that many eggs a day.

I have 2 Aussies and I love them. They are good layers and 1 right now is a mommy. She has been great. A very good mom and was wonderful when she was setting the eggs. She would let me candle and never once tried to peck me or even fluff at me. I have never had sex links so no experience there. My neighbor has a BSL and she is aggressive with the other chickens, but she has Cinnamon Queens that she loves.

Back
Top Bottom